Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Been to HUB ( Helping You Barbeque ) trying "The Good One" Lump!

Options
NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went to a local BBQ place recommended to me by Bowhunr in Omaha. Great little place that sells BBQ supplies. I picked up a 20 lb. bag of "The Good One" lump for $17. Anxious to see how it works. It's a nice big bag and feels like it has bigger chunks in it. Gonna do some burgers for lunch today. Have been on the fence after my last couple uses of Cowboy. Limited options in my area so I also have a bag of Kamado Joe lump. Cowboy seemed ok but it sparked ALOT when lighting and its really the only thing I have used so curious to see some other options and how they work. Will let you know.

Here's a little info on the HUB if anyone is interested. They had a pretty good selection of most everything from sauces to rubs and tools/accessories.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helping-U-Barbeque/184697714941422

Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Glad you made it over there.  As we speak I am on a fourteen hour burn with TGO lump.  I think you're going to like it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I have to admit I was impressed! It didn't crackle or spark at all when lighting and there was no noxious smoke when first lit like with the Cowboy. I liked it a lot. It had a good woody campfire smell and the burgers I made for lunch were great! Bacon cheeseburgers inspired by Kristi. ( Saw a post she put up the other day that looked really good so I tried to duplicate some ) Thanks Kristi! Thanks for the recommendation for HUB too Mike. Great little place and TGO lump has impressed! I will go back!
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Your burgers look wicked, that's not cheese whiz on them though is it, please tell me no, processed cheese is one molecule off a plastic.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Your burgers look wicked, that's not cheese whiz on them though is it, please tell me no, processed cheese is one molecule off a plastic.
    I know Kraft Singles when I see em. :P  He aint rolling with the whiz biut it's still processed cheese and it prolly tasted fricken awesome!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NightwingXP
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I know Kraft Singles when I see em. :P  He aint rolling with the whiz biut it's still processed cheese and it prolly tasted fricken awesome!
    DING DING DING and CAZZY wins the prize. Kraft singles they indeed be and tasty they were! ARRRRRR
    Can only cook with what I got and groceries aren't for another 2 weeks, ARRRRRR.

I took my homemade Rib Rub and worked in into the ground beef and then made patties. Let them sit in the fridge overnight and get to know each other. Then grilled them raised, direct and added some apple chips to give em a little smoke! Damn they were good! Kristi made a bacon cheese burger several days ago and posted pics and I had to copy. The bacon and cheese knocked these out of the park! Best burgers I have had in awhile. Anxious to do it with havarti next time and some bacon. Oh and a good bakery bun. Too good !!!
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    The burgers look great Nightwing!  I'm sure Ron appreciates your business and so do I.  I want to see them make it as they are 5 minutes from my house.  Nice to have good lump, Dizzy Pig, etc. so close.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Oh damn. They had Dizzy Pig. I didn't even see it. Well just another excuse to go back!
    :D
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    And Blue's Hog BBQ sauce too!!

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Will have to try that one too then. Thanks so much for the recommendation Mike! A good place like that is hard to find. When I went in there with my wife I was absolutely giddy. I think the lady at the counter thought I was a weirdo. It was a really nice place with lots of great stuff. My mind kinda swirled and I didn't look closely enough at what all they had. I will have to be more focused when I go back! Thanks again!
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    I just started using the lump that I bought at HUB, had to finish out the BGE brand that came with the Egg.  Seems to be better than BGE and I agree, less sparking and seems to quit smoking faster.
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Ya I thought it was amazing how it pretty much started up smooth and easy. Not really much if any creosote smoke to speak of. Great stuff!