Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kalbi Short Ribs

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited March 2012 in Pork
OK, only got 1 crappy pic from a cell phone, but wanted to post cuz this was the 1st time I did short ribs (gotta give credit to Village Idiot for inspiring me to try something different)!!!!    ;)

Basically marinated in a Kalbi sauce, and then split them up (half went on Egg as-is, other half I then added some Dizzy Pig Jamaican rub as well). 

Did them "low & slow" - 250 dome temp, indirect, for about 5 hrs. 

Due to the weather (OK, and me being lazy) - I didn't get them started till late on Sun, so by the time they were done, everyone was in bed - I did sneak a taste-test, and they tasted REALLY good. 

The pic shows the leftovers reheated Mon evening after work - they look very dark, I guess that's from any sugar in the Kalbi being caramelized, because they weren't "burnt"...

All-in-all a VERY good first attempt - though, I told the GF that the next time, I'll do half in the Kalbi (the way she likes them), and the other half just a dry rub (the way I like them)...

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I bet it was good, HH.  Heck, a perfectly done brisket looks burnt from the outside.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    VI - thanks, it was good.

One thing I noticed though was that the raws made it look like there was a lot more meat than the finished (cooked) product.

Apparently the raws had a lot of fat which, over the course of the 5 hrs of cooking, had rendered down. When I first opened the lid on the Egg, I did a double take cuz I couldn't believe just how much the ribs had "shrank" ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee