Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First spatch - great success

bclarksicle
bclarksicle Posts: 167
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Attempted my first spatchcock last night and it was a huge success.  This board was a great source of info for the cook...many thanks!

The details:

The bird: bought a free-range bird from a local farm.  Total weight was over 6 pounds.  

The seasoning: Used a Thai-themed paste consisting of shallot, fresh ginger, chile-garlic paste, lime juice, soy, and fish sauce.  I also gave the whole bird a light coating of coconut oil prior to seasoning.  

The cook: 350, indirect with a foiled plate setter, cooked til breast was 160.

The results:  Easily the most delicious chicken I've made.  Crispy skin (let it sit in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours), super juicy on the inside.  It helped starting with a really high-quality bird.  Not sure if it's the free-range aspect, but I noticed the bird (while huge) was much leaner than the standard chicken I've bought over the years.

Results attached. Again, many thanks to the community for all the great info!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Nice job. Good looking chicken.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Congrats on a successful cook.  I loved all of your ingrediants outside of the fish sauce so I would have tore that bird up.  I'm a sucker for thai food so I'll give it a whirl when the wife is out of town.

BTW, that's a big bird.  For some reason, I always though free range were smaller.  I guess not :P

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey

Congrats on a successful cook.  I loved all of your ingrediants outside of the fish sauce so I would have tore that bird up.  I'm a sucker for thai food so I'll give it a whirl when the wife is out of town.

BTW, that's a big bird.  For some reason, I always though free range were smaller.  I guess not :P

Cazzy might I suggest a cornish game hen while the wife is out of town (or intown so she can have the kind she likes).......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    That's a good idea. Now only if knew what the heck a Cornish Game Hen was.

Do they eat corn while playing games with hens :-?
  • Mickey
    Yes cazzy because the hens like it ~:>

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167

I loved all of your ingrediants outside of the fish sauce so I would have tore that bird up.

I admit fish sauce is a bit of an acquired taste, but I thought it added some nice flavor as opposed to just salt.  Worth a shot if you're feeling adventurous.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Mickey, spached my 1st cornish hen last night.  Better than candy and quick and easy.
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    nice thread..inspirational...I think I will do my first spatch exactly the same way but using the Cluck and Squeal I bought at Salado. I'm going to get one of those Buddy's chickens and do the exact same thing...fridge overnight...same temps etc. Yours looks beautiful. Also like the idea of using cornish hens as a variety. I bet they are delicious too!
  • cazzy
    I noticed the difference in the skin crisp after letting it sit for 24 hours. Give it a try for sure...assuming you plan ahead.
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    That bird looks great! I have a question. I brine my chicken overnight. Would you folks than give it another 24 hrs in the fridge,uncovered to get a crispier skin or maybe just towel it off and cook??Thanks.