Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Thermometer observation

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Today, I decided to clean my egg since I was off of work. When I got out there I noticed the BGE thermometer (non Tel-tru) was sitting on 100 degrees even though the egg was cold. So, I pulled the clip and calibrated in boiling water. It was right on the mark. Anyone else have this issue? Should I toss it and get a tel tru or just use it since it was on the mark with the calibration? I didn't know if this is a sign it's on it's last leg. Thoughts?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Was the egg sitting in the sun?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Indeed, my dome thermometer is pegged on the bottom, but as soon as I connect the Mavrick it pops up in the 80's even though the fire has not been lit.  Just recording the outside temp.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Chubbs
    Was the egg sitting in the sun?

It is sitting on my screen porch so not in sun. It was 86 today in Columbia. I always pay attention to the thermometer and this is the first time it has done this. I have done a lot of high temp cooks lately between working and pizza. Just a thought, but maybe too many high temp cooks could eventually damage the thermometer???
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I think of 200 as lowest temp you would need it to work at, so I might test in oil at a higher temp and make a decision.  If it was accurate in the range of 200-400 degrees I would keep it.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    They're not accurate at low temperatures.  I think they're all off like that, I know mine is.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Mine does the same thing and I have already calibrated with boiling water. I have been wanting to do it again but haven't had time. The little spring clip that holds it in does come loose every once in a while. I have heard others mention that when they reset this spring clip it throws off the calibration. don't know if its true but I had suspected mine might be doing this. Just haven't had time to double check.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Chubbs
    Are there any other tests I can do with it to test it at a higher temp?
  • Gato
    I have taken the spring clip off. No problems with it falling out and if you happen to do a nuke temp either by accident or on propose you can just pull it out before out wraps around.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    86 degrees outside. It's not that far fetched to me that it could be close to 100 in a closed up egg. Only 14°
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chubbs
    That's true, but I wonder why it started today. It's been in the 80s here for a while and it hasn't done that on the thermometer until today. I guess I will continue to monitor it and calibrate it a few more times before I make a decision.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Are there any other tests I can do with it to test it at a higher temp?
    One of these days I'm going to heat some oil and a known accurate thermometer such as my thermopen.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I agree that 86 outside temp could easily register 100 on a dome thermometer. The dome traps hot air so it always reads hot. as we move in to warmer weather, your dome thermometer will read even hotter. If you really want to get accurate, get a dual zone digital thermo for your cooks to measure grill and meat temps. You'll find that The temp at the grill level is always significantly lower than the dome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    I agree that 86 outside temp could easily register 100 on a dome thermometer. The dome traps hot air so it always reads hot. as we move in to warmer weather, your dome thermometer will read even hotter. If you really want to get accurate, get a dual zone digital thermo for your cooks to measure grill and meat temps. You'll find that The temp at the grill level is always significantly lower than the dome.

I have one but only use it for long cooks. I am aware of the temp difference in grate and dome. I just thought it was odd the thermometer was doing that randomly when it has been hot outside for a while.
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    I think of 200 as lowest temp you would need it to work at, so I might test in oil at a higher temp and make a decision.  If it was accurate in the range of 200-400 degrees I would keep it.
    If you have an electric fryer, like a fry daddy, you could set it at 400 with oil and dip your BGE thermometer in the oil to check it.  'Course you would have to trust your fry daddy temp gauge.  Then, while its hot, throw in some beer battered jalapenos!