Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking on the Mini

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello:
I'm considering a Mini Egg for camping, picnics, small meals, etc., and I wonder if anybody out there might have some advice. I understand it's an insurpassable grill, but how does it function as a smoker? Can I maintain low temperatures for salmon, ribs, etc? I hear the small is better, but if we're talking about carrying it 100 yards or so across a beach, I'll probably end up buying a sandwich instead. I guess what I'm asking is: What smoking success have any of you had with the Mini?
Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Jim, you can smoke on the mini but it takes some creativity since you would need to make a platesetter. Also, it would need a reload of charcoal due to the smaller capacity to cook for extended hours.The small egg would be a better choice for smoking and it has much more capacity, imo. You are looking at 65 lbs vs. 30 lbs as to what needs to be carried across the beach 100 yards.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Jim,[p]I think you'd have a less than easy time using the mini as a smoker.
    However, there are folks here who've made indirect setups to do just that.... but with it being so small, you'll have to contend with capacity issues and possibly refueling in mid cook.... just how many spares can you fit on that grid?[p]My suggestion.... get a small, build the simple transport/stand setup of GrillMeister and it will be no trouble to walk the small the 100 yards to the beach and do your grilling and smoking with no worries.[p]John[p]