Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you put something between your place setter and your drip pan?

Options
Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hey Team,

I have been reading some discussions and it seems that alot of people put something between their placesetter and drip pan.

I haven't been which would explain why my drip pan is always burnt and dry at the end of a cook.

Let me know, thanks all!

Gabe

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I put nothing in between and use foil pans as my drip pan. Just trash it at the end of the cook and don't care if it is burnt. Works for me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I gorilla glued 4 big nuts to the bottom of the small cookie sheet I use as a drip pan to keep it off the plate setter.  Then, I put aluminum foil over the drip pan.  Doesn't always keep the drippings from drying up and burning, but it helps.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    I've started using the little feet under mine. I haven't had any drippings dry out since.  I use a pizza pan I got from a restaurant supply store and cover it in foil.  Helps clean up and fits better than the square, disposable pans. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Absolutely. You will scorch anything that sits directly on the platesetter. I use a jalapeno roasting rack which gives an inch or so of clearance. It makes all the difference in the world and scorched drippings give quite an acrid taste to your meat.I have attached a link so you can get an idea of what i use:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/King-Kooker-Jalapeno-Rack-with-Corer/10726735?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

Enjoy!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I put my foil pan on top of the jalapeno rack and then put my v-Rack with butts or brisket on top of that. You can keep water in the pan if you want but even if you don't, your drippings will not scorch. I'll attach a pic if I can
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't see how I can attach a pic. I anyone wants a pic, let me know and I'll email it. It works awesome and it was just a few $
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I use $.12. Three pennies under each corner. Works great and its cheap, like me.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    +1 for BGE feet to keep el-cheapo aluminum pan off platesetter. Air gap however created definitely required for low& slows.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Iceman5705
    Options

Excellent guys, thanks.

On the advice of another poster I picked up an 18 inch cake pan.  I have the BGE-XL.  Basically it leaves me 2 inches of clearance all around.

I will probably just get a couple sets of stainless flat washers put get up off the place setter.

Thanks again!

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I use a old grate from a propane stove.imageimageimage
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    Sorry i dont know what happened with the three pictures
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't fret too much about the black puffy soot you see after a low and slow.  it's less from being burned by the heat underneath than it is simply homemade charcoal.  all those drippings are organic. in a hot low-oxygen environment, you'll drive out water and the rest will blacken into literal charcoal.  there's really no significant amount of acrid smoke given off.  it's not like it is burning under high heat
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    I use a ceramic covered broiling pan with tin foil and a little water. You can put oranges,lemons or anything ya want. Let the water evap. and toss the foil.
    LET'S EAT
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22
    Options
    You can find nice aluminum pans at Ceramic grill works that are the same size as the plate setters and then just wrap them in aluminum foil.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    About 2/3 the way down on this page, you will see 1/2 inch x 1 inch kiln posts for 75 cents each.

http://www.clay-king.com/kilnshelves.htm#shelves

I use 3 or 4 of these.  These little posts are made of ceramic, same as pizza stones, and the BGE itself.  I ordered 9 of them so that in case I dropped them I would have extra.  Well I have dropped them, and none have broken.  It's also nice know that nothing odd will happen if I let the egg go nuclear during a pizza cook.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Those posts would be perfect for raising the grid. Set three on the fire ring and put the grid on it!
    I use some home made ones from refractory cement. But for a couple dollars a piece. A deal
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Those posts would be perfect for raising the grid. Set three on the fire ring and put the grid on it!
    I use some home made ones from refractory cement. But for a couple dollars a piece. A deal
    Great idea.  I would get the 1.5 inch wide ones for some more stability.  4-5 of these on the fire ring would work great.
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    I use stainless steel nuts or the BGE green feet and that works great, I also read about people using 1/4" angle iron pieces about 6" long and that also looked good!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use this jalapeno roasting rack I bought at the grocery store. I put a foil pan on top of that and my V-Rack with butts/brisket on the V-Rack
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use this jalapeno roastng rack that I bought at the local grocery store (HEB down here in Austin). I put a foil pan on top of that and my V-Rack with Brisket/butts on the rack. Works every time