Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Welcome DragonFire!!! How did the ribs go, Chris?

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
An old buddy of mine (known for 26 years) picked up an egg at the Eggfest....hopefully we can work up a warm egger welcome for Chris Lane!! And while he was one of my last old friends to jump on the egg bandwagon, he takes his hobbies extremely seriously. Okay, maybe he is obsessive. He'll fit right in. LOL.[p]He posted this morning about the interior temp of babybacks, and "guru ramping" and stuff. I have already told him the reason he only got one response is that most folks here do ribs by feel....and that he was not being ignored!! I told him to start ramping down at 190 internal so they would not get hotter than that....but I am a spare rib guy so not sure about my advice![p]He called me again at 4:15 to let me know his daughter told him his guru was beeping, and he was headed home early. Anyways, still have not heard how the ribs came out, but I am curious how it went at the DragonFire ranch. A great guy with a fantastic sense of humor. Welcome Chris.[p]Cold beers to you!
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Nature Boy,
    Aww man...another one of your friends?[p]Time to make some more Kool Aid.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Nature Boy,
    well I'll get on the welcome wagon here and shout out a big
    WELCOME HERE "NEW CHRIS"
    I'd only be echoing what you've already been told, but I only cook baby backs, but have never used my Guru for them - I do use a Thermopen though and check for doneness between the bones for 190 to 195 range - but I'm really trusting more on my eyesight and the degree the meat pulls back from the bone.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Nature Boy,
    Welcome, DragonFire! I can't help with Guru questions: don't have one. (I may be the only person on the planet without one...)[p]Like Ron, I do ribs by look and feel. [p]Ken

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Nature Boy,[p]Welcome bro...........beers to ya....bigarms
  • locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Nature Boy,[p]Dragon Fire....Welcome! You don't do ribs with a guru son...what's wrong w/ you? ;-) Look and feel baby, look and feel.
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Nature Boy, A hearty hello and welcome to dragonfire "aka" Lanus. You know that since you are now an official egghead we get to start eating at your place.
    To quote my hero and favorite grounds keeper Carl "You got a pool over at your place don't you"[p]Have fun, and keep an eye on that guru.
    Hatch[p]

• Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the welcome, Chris. The guru beeping turned out to be a false alarm since the ribs were only at 165 but the guru thought they were at 195. Anyway, it was a good excuse to get out of work early. After another couple of hours, the ribs turned out great. The rack was scarffed down in minutes by my hungry family. Alright, I admit I did the most scarffing. I used your dizzy dust coarse grind and some Stubbs original bbq sauce. This egg is amazing - pork chops tomorrow night.

• locolongball,
    When I finally made the plunge into eggdom, I explained to my wife that I could start dinner in the morning before I went to work and she would come home with dinner waiting for her. Since I wouldn't be able to tend to the cooking during the day, I put the guru on just to keep the dome temp under control and to ramp it down so they wouldn't overcook. After getting home and the ribs weren't done yet, I took over and used the look and feel method and had some excellent ribs. Thanks for the welcome and the friendly abuse.

• bigarms,
    Thanks for the welcome and beers to everyone!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Dragon Fire,[p]Welcome to the land of goofy cooks.....
    Hey, it was great finally meeting you a few weeks back and knocking back a couple of beers.
    Cheers Dude![p]John

• BlueSmoke,
    Thanks for the welcome! The guru is good when you can't stick around the egg to monitor things like for me when I went to work all day today. I did a butt for an all night cook over the long weekend and the guru allowed me to get a good night's sleep. I impressed my in-laws with some awesome pulled pork. My mother-in-law must have said to my father-in-law fifty times that he should get an egg.

• RRP,
    I'm feelin the love. Thanks for the welcome. Just got my thermapen delivered today.

• Bobby-Q,
    I should have waited for a fresh batch of kool aid. Not big on the backwash.

• Hatch,
    Since the guru got me out of work early, I had time to set up the pool basketball hoop. You are welcome anytime KB.

• WooDoggies,
    I still can't believe it took so long for us to meet. Glad we did. I plan on going to Westminster to see the pigs in action and pick up some pointers from the eggsperts. cu then.

• Dragon Fire,
    Now let me get this straight, I go to my boss and tell him that I have a beeping guru and have to leave immediately? Jeez, we've had ours for months and never thought to use it that way!

• kk,
    Ah, the multiple uses of the bbq guru.

• WooDoggies
    Dragon Fire,[p]Awesome! I'm looking forward to it.
    Since this will be your first competition, it is customary that the first timer brings the beer.... see you in 3 weeks![p]John

• WooDoggies,
    Hope you like Red, White and Blue Light 8^)

• WooDoggies
    That'll do, pig. That'll do.
  • locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Dragon Fire,
    OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH, that's awesome. I'm pissed now, I need a Guru! damn it! [p]Enjoy the Egging