Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

VI...we got a virgin photoshoot over here!

cazzycazzy Posts: 8,336
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Breaking in my new small that I picked up at the Salado Fest.  A much different experience than my 1st egg cook a little more than a month ago.  I must say that you all have taught me a ton...directly and indirectly. 

Spatchcock chicken - Shaking the Tree - 400 Dome Temp - Direct with CGS Woo

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Nice break-in cook Cazzy!  Interesting little stand you have there.  Reminds me of an old kamado cart and the old nest for the Mini. 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,336
    It's a initial prototype of what I'm going to use when my table is ready instead of a paver stone. I have one for my large too.

The concept is there but not quite what I envisioned. The two bolts is where the ash shoot attaches. I wanted it to slide out from underneath but we'll see how this works. I also thought it would be lower, but I somewhat like that it goes higher as it might enable me to travel with it and place it on a picnic table or grass.

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Thanks, Cazzy, but you are "the chicken man", from dynamite wings to spatchcock !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Cazzy you nailed that chicken. Did steaks and while eating did a spatchcock for later.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• geat set up...someone said at Salado that the old nest forthe mini had a problem if you didn't use spacers..the heat difference between the steel and ceramic would cause a crack to develop around the base...check with the more experienced they can tell you all about it...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• pabpab Posts: 99
    Your small looks brand new, I thought they were all demos. I am planning on attending the eggfest in Cincinnati in july and picking up a small to go with my large and have some anxiety about transporting a hot egg. The chicken looks grat by the way.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
    edited March 2012
    @ woody's wood pit  Thanks....I just read about the problem with the mini stand.  The top brace doesn't hug the egg, so their is some room for expansion.  I am going to forward the feedback to my metal guy so he can tweak and maybe implement my original idea.

@pab  Nobody picked my small to cook on so I got a brand new demo egg.  There was also a unused M and XL.  Everyone goes for the larges so your chances are good that you may get a new one too.  If not, they usually account for cool down and ask cooks to shut down eggs about 1.5 hours before the fest is over.  Good luck!
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Looks great cazzy - you may have just answered the question about what we are having for dinner tonight.
    Cookin in Texas
  • pabpab Posts: 99
    Thanks for the reply cazzy. Had to do some convincing of the wife to get the large. When I brought up wanting to get a demo small there was no hesitation, she said "go for it". The food off of the BGE has made a believer out of her.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
    It's funny how that works right?  My wife is a believer too and now wants a mini for herself.  She knows how I am with hobbies so I can't say anything has surprised her so far.  
    Cazzy I bet $5. you have the Mini before the next Salado =))
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

You'd win!  The more interesting bet would be i'll have a mini before the Athen's fest.  B-)
  • sancho65sancho65 Posts: 100
    cazzy, You got mail.
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
    Hell, Texas is next month at Lake Travis.

I'll be at that fest too so you could be right!  :-c
    Cazzy call me. 254.289.1877

• eggnitedeggnited Posts: 94
    Cazzy...great to keep a'breast....a thank you...of what is happening in your back yard. Chicken looks awesome. Looking forward to trying a spatcock myself...with the Cluck and Squeal. Btw...if this reply posts it will be interesting since I have been trying to post a pizza stone/first pizza post all day today (at work) without success. Anyway, back on topic....I like your style...how you dive in...and find your cooks inspiring. See you at Lake Travis btw!