Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Looking to buy first egg but what size?

13»

Comments

• FrobozzFrobozz Posts: 98
    The price differences between various sizes of Egg can be significant, and you can consider mixing/matching grills when you have people over. For example, I have a medium Egg, which is just perfect for my wife and me. But I also have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker, an 18-inch Weber kettle and a very old drum-style grill that I picked up many years ago. I have used all sorts of combinations of these when I've had people over -- and I've fed as many as 40 people. But the Egg is big enough for 95 percent of the cooking I do.
    ·
  • odie91odie91 Posts: 209
    edited March 2012

·
  • Steve753Steve753 Posts: 42
    I went in thinking that I was getting a large, but the store I was in had a deal on last year's XL. I am extremely happy with it, and I usually cook on it for two people.
    ·
  • Thanks again everyone. Going to keep price shopping the local dealers and see how much more an XL might cost me. If it's a little more than I can stomach, I'll go the route of the large and maybe pick up another large or medium down the road if I feel the need. I can see the versatility of having 2 eggs for different temps and I can see the advantage of having just 1 XL. I see that there really is no right or wrong choice and honestly I could go either way and would make out just fine. There are advantages for every situation and those situations vary quite drastically between users.
    ·