Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White Smoke / Wood Chunks Questions

Options
canadianeh
canadianeh Posts: 32
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a question about lighting my egg and white smoke.

Last night I dumped in some all-natural sugar maple lump. I tried using a piece of paper towel dipped in grapeseed oil and stuffed that in the middle. I lit the paper towel and got the fire going (maybe 20/30 mins).

I waited until all the white smoke was gone and started cooking, but as more coals started to catch fire - I was seeing more and more white smoke. This seems like it would be perfectly normal that ff you're only lighting a section of the coals, that more white smoke will be produced each time more coals are lit. Am I wrong?

Is there a better away? My first cook on the egg I got a whole chimney of coals goals and dumped that on more coals in the fire box. That seemed fine but I ended up with a VERY high heat that was hard to bring down.

I added some wood chunks to the top which kept catching on fire.

Any tips for me?

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    After half an hour I just hold my hand in the smoke for a little while and see what it smells like and if it is ok I go ahead and put the meat on.  The white in the smoke could just be moisture that has built up in the egg.  A lot of times people over think all of this stuff.

Gerhard
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    FWIW, I buried chunks throughout my lump in different spots. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i bury wood in the middle down thru the lump. fire will burn down and encounter wood as it goes.  i just lean over the chimney and smell the smoke.  if it smells good, it is good. blue is perfect, but nevr had any issues with white smoke unless itis absolutely billowing.  white is steam, and that's it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante