Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about the mini

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am currently a college student living in a dorm room. I love to smoke and grill, but the things they call grills that are available on campus are junk. I haven't yet found a mini BGE on display so I am wondering about the size. Is it small enough to move indoors when I am not using it? A 9 1/2" grill sounds big enough to grill for 2 or smoke a chicken but not much more than that. Am I correct here? I have no problem dropping $200-300 for it if it really is a good usable grill/smoker combo. Any comments?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    SteelDragon,
    The mini is a fantastic grilling machine; small and light enough to be very portable. As to smoking; the grill sits fairly close to the coals, and that tiny little cavity heats up furiously. With lots of TLC, though, it should produce an excellent smoked bird.[p]Ken

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    SteelDragon, the Mini weighs in at 30 lbs and is VERY portable. You are in the price range, depending on whether you buy it at a dealer or have it shipped to you. I bought mine on Ebay for $144 and that 'included' shipping and handling. The Mini is a beatiful little cooker and it is a lifetime investment, you'll be using for years and years and years ;) Here are a couple of steak pics. Don't the pics fool you, THOSE are BIG steaks and you can easily cook two at a time, same with pork chops (up to four) and a couple or more chicken breasts, etc.[p]NY Strip
    nystrip1.jpg[p]Ribeye
    miniribi.jpg

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Good lookin shots Rum!
    I really love how the bottom picture looks like it has its own ecosystem....clouds tucked in against the mountains, crisp sunlit peaks. Okay, maybe I been workin too hard, but dang....purty.[p]BTW, I think you guys are right on about the mini, but for this particular college student, I am thinkin a small would provide much more flexibility for him and his buds. The mini is incredibly good at what it does, but the small does a whole lot more.[p]Cheers mang!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Those steaks are huge. I cooked some (what I thought) was large strips at Arrowhead last year and could 2 of the on.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    cowboygillers.jpg
    <p />SteelDragon,[p]I love my mini and it is very easy to move. I agree with NB, you might want to consider a small.
    BGE's are chick magnets. Your going to be cooking for a few more some time.
    Don't know where you go to college but I can see a trip with a small and a few friends.[p]HTH[p]CWM

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    MiniM004.jpg
    <p />SteelDragon,[p]The mini makes the best steaks you'll ever eat... I have yet to eat a better one than the NY Strips Qfan cooked on the mini a few eggfests back.
    But if you can afford the small egg, that would be a much more versatile cooker than the mini... and at 65 lbs, very manageable, too.[p]John

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    SteelDragon,[p]For you I'd recommend the mini. It cooks like a bandit, and has the right footprint to keep in your dorm room when not in use.[p]Good luck with your studies,
    Puj

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    SteelDragon,
    the small is a better combo grill/ smoker and will fit in a small barrel to move in and out of the dorm room. when you graduate, ask for a large

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I only have 110 sq ft of indoor space, so I am really concerned about storing a small inside when it's not in use, but I will certainly consider it. Now I just have to find someone here in Houston with both on a showroom floor and find someone here who will provide transportion for me and the egg in exchange for a steak. That last part should be no problem. Thanks again.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    SteelDragon,
    Forget about wasting space.............just invert the barrel or crate that you carry your small Egg in....into a table! Go for the small...you WILL be cooking for others.... Paul

• Unknown
    Options
    [img]http://www.bamaque.com/images/Pork/TL on the mini1.JPG[/img]
    <p />SteelDragon,