Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzone

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made a calzone with salami, ham, provalone, & ricotta cheese. Very good.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Options
    Interesting.  I always thought of calzones being a single pie, and that's the way I've made them.  Your's is probably a lot easier to make, and just as good, I bet.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    OK, my family has been bugging me to do this.  Is this pizza dough folded over, and cooked like a pizza?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Yes. The pizza dough is folded over. I cooked it at 425 for 25 minutes.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • washouse
    washouse Posts: 8
    Options
    Stromboli's and Calzone's are similar in filings.  But the shape is different.  Stromboli's are in a rectangle shape that resembles the Isle of Stromboli off the coast of Sicily.  While Calzone's are a half moon shaped.  Both are from pizza dough and the filings are many times the same however a Calzone will have sauce inside prior to baking.  Both are sometimes fried but the most common is to bake them in a pizza oven.  Oh did I mention that I am originally from Phila where the Stromboli's allegedly originated by immigrates from the Isle of Stromboili.   
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Nice job whatever shape it's in!!  :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I tried to get the oval shape, but used store bought rolls of pizza dough. They are rectangular when they come out of the can. The dough was very sticky so it was hard to shape. I wanted to make homemade dough, but I was in a hurry.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    That looks great. I'll have to give that a try. I was on a 1 month pizza ban on the Egg after I cracked a stone, nearly set myself on fire, and cursed enough to make a sailor jealous. The ban is now lifted, I'm going back to my 20 year pizza stone, and am ready for battle.

Thanks for sharing and @washouse thanks for the info about stromboli. My wife is some South Philly...Ridley Park actually.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • washouse
    washouse Posts: 8
    Options
    "Thanks for sharing and @washouse thanks for the info about stromboli. My wife is some South Philly...Ridley Park actually."  Spent the 40's and 50's in Lansdowne.  Ridley Park was an High School adversary that we loved to beat.  And of course Italian food reigns in that neck of the Food World.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    Washouse, now yours looks good. Good job.