Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled chicken question

Options
Eggbertsdad
Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Last night I grilled some bone in, skin on chicken thighs. I did them direct between 375-400. I stated them out skin side up and everything was fine. When I flipped them over, holy cow! I just let them ROAR for a few then flipped them back over and let everything calm down. They turned out fine, it just looked pretty scary.

My question to you is, do any of you cook chicken direct or do you mainly cook it indirect to avoid the flame-up?

Thanks!
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    I do mine indirect only. Not big on burnt skin.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Raised direct on top of adjustable rig. Skin side up, no flip, 400*. Perfect crispy skin every time.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Raised grid....that was my problem. Thanks for the tip.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    did you keep the lid open? shutting the lid will kill the flames after a few seconds.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    did you keep the lid open? shutting the lid will kill the flames after a few seconds.
    stike,

I did keep it open. I shut the bottom vent and was in the process of closing the lid when I figured the skin was "crispy enough" so I just flipped them back over and re-adjusted the temp.

I didn't have the grid raised. I've seen some photos where guys use pavers to raise it. I'll think I'll start with that method unless there's a reason not to.
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    There is a great video on you tube by hi tech barbeque that removes the skin,cooks direct at 400F,start with the "skin" side down, flip at about 10 mins or so and sauce at about 20 mins, pull when int temp at 170F. Tis is the method I use and everyone seems to love em. I (and my heart) don't seem to miss the skin. I like  jamaican jerk rub to start and Bone Suckin sauce to finish.Just have fun with it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    an open lid is the reason for the flare ups.  closed, the egg will not flame up for any significant length of time
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Raised direct or just normal indirect seem to produce the best results for chicken for me.  Nice crisp skin, not charred.  As stated...don't need to open the lid for much other than putting food on or off the egg.  :D
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just bought some pavers and steadied them and I'm about to throw some wings on it to try it raised.