Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing a Nomex gasket

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    xraypat, I bought mine already put together, so I've never made adjustments.  Do I just losen the hinge connections with the dome down (of course) and fiddle with alignments until I get it closing better?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    exactly, usually the bottom band is pretty snug against the bottom of the lower section, loosen the bolt on the top band, press down on the lid and pull up on the band. Than tighten the band up nice and tight. If you are going to be replacing the gasket id avoid going to the point of "bending the bolt" but definitely just before that, you don't want a loose lid.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    The installation video doesn't show using a torque wrench, so I guess you just tighten the heck out of them? 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• xraypat23
    according to freds music and bbq. He's got a whole series of videos on the egg. You need to tighten the bands all the way until the bolts bend, and i've seen quite a few eggs assembled with the bolts bent.

www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26

Called BGE customer service yesterday and they are sending a Nomex gasket my way.  Everyone recommends Super 77 adhesive with the Nomex, but Permatex (ultra copper) when applying the Rutland gasket.  I am thinking of applying the Nomex gasket with the (semingly superior) Permatex, unless yall know of any disadvantages of using the Permatex with the Nomex gasket...?

• Cobra99
    Cobra99 Posts: 12

Called BGE customer service yesterday and they are sending a Nomex gasket my way.  Everyone recommends Super 77 adhesive with the Nomex, but Permatex (ultra copper) when applying the Rutland gasket.  I am thinking of applying the Nomex gasket with the (semingly superior) Permatex, unless yall know of any disadvantages of using the Permatex with the Nomex gasket...?

yes I would like to know about this also.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I think the permatex may go on too thick. It is a paste like material. Super77 is a spray and invisible. My nomex has already outlasted my factory gasket and the egg is only 2 months old.

As for the bolts, mine are bent and I had no problems. The bolts are soft and bend easily using a ratchet or wrench. No torque wrench needed.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Did BGE replace the original gasket w/ the nomex at no charge? I went by the mother ship today and said mine was close to being fried after 3 months and they wanted to charge me like $19.
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    GATO, what was your oven shrinking procedure? going to replace mine tomorrow night.

BTW, hillbilly, the permatex gasket alone probably won't be enough of a gasket, and might glue your egg shut.

I preheated the oven to 300 and put in the unrolled gasket for about 1/2 hour.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @Lowflyer, I called BGE and they replaced my gasket for free. I think it depends on the age of your egg. My egg was only a month old.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26
    Ya cort, I think you are right. My egg is only 1 month old as well.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    permatex goes on as thick or thin as you want.  single bead will do.  stuff is the only permanent adhesive anyone has found so far for these gaskets.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • xraypat23
    but will it come off? lets say i use permatex to install my nomex gasket and I fry it and want to put the rutland on, how hard will it be to remove the permatex off the egg
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    If you're already expecting to fry the nomex, why wouldn't you just do the Rutland now and be done with it...once?
  • stike
    it comes off with a rzor if you want it to.

if you can invent an adhesive that sticks ridiculously tight forever yet peels right off easily, you are in line for some serious wealth.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited March 2012
    I still find this whole thing ridiculous that BGE knowingly ships an inadequate gasket on a brand new egg. If Eggheads weren't so loyal, this would be a class action lawsuit. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Lawsuit may be a little extreme, and I am in legal field!!! I consider the gasket on the egg like tires on a car. Eventually, they will have to be replaced. If you drive low and slow they last longer. If you cook high temps or burn rubber they need to be replaced quicker.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Cobra99
    Cobra99 Posts: 12

I put on a nomex with the self adhesive and it came off first cook.  Last night I used the permatex. let it cure for a few minutes and attached the nomex.  Looks like this will last for a a while. when this is cooked I will remove with a razer and install just permatex or a rutland with permatex. Now back to that brisket in the fridge....

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited March 2012
    Lawsuit may be a little extreme, and I am in legal field!!! I consider the gasket on the egg like tires on a car. Eventually, they will have to be replaced. If you drive low and slow they last longer. If you cook high temps or burn rubber they need to be replaced quicker.
    I consider it more like the windshield. lol
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited March 2012
    Thought I would mention the XL is doing much better, even with the fried gasket, since I adjusted the dome.  I was not quite right when I got it, and I did not know better to notice.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I did a 700 degree pizza cook last night and my nomex came loose a bit on the back bottom seem. I sprayed a bit of 77 to stick it back on. Will see how it holds 2nd glue in. Definitely have to adjust my dome. It's almost a half inch off now.
    Dunedin, FL
  • inkyon
    inkyon Posts: 88
    Should I apply the better gasket before the first cook so I don't have to go through this hassle later on or it is just something inevitable to deal with? I am looking to get my first LBGE next week so want to get it prepared the best way as possible.
  • stike
    don't create work for yourself
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Should I apply the better gasket before the first cook so I don't have to go through this hassle later on 
    I would.  Any EGG I purchase in the future I will strip off the felt gasket and put on a Rutland.  Do it right once and you won't have to worry about it again. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• according to freds music and bbq. He's got a whole series of videos on the egg. You need to tighten the bands all the way until the bolts bend, and i've seen quite a few eggs assembled with the bolts bent.

www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    Mine are bent for sure and that was also in the instructions that came with mine. Tighten until they bend
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Should I apply the better gasket before the first cook so I don't have to go through this hassle later on 
    I would.  Any EGG I purchase in the future I will strip off the felt gasket and put on a Rutland.  Do it right once and you won't have to worry about it again. 
    I know I'm on an island here (take a picture) but my felt gaskets last a couple of years. I'll probably go with one of the upgrades when mine goes next but I've had good luck with them. i do all kinds of cooks (blast furnace, low and slow etc) so I dunno why but they last for me. 
  • inkyon
    the dealer I am talking to offered to install the high heat gasket that comes from the mothership, BGE brand, so should I go for it when I get my first Egg? It would come with a fee, of course.
  • the dealer I am talking to offered to install the high heat gasket that comes from the mothership, BGE brand, so should I go for it when I get my first Egg? It would come with a fee, of course.
    I would say yes to that. 
  • inkyon
    Anybody likes the quality of the high heat gasket from the mothership?

• xraypat23
    just did my first cook on it, slight indentations from where my ique and maverick probes came out, other than that, works like a charm, ill let you know after a pizza night to know how it really holds up