Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my Wok ON tonight!!

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got my Wok seasoned a second time with peanut oil tonight and it got a little darker. It will get there. Made General Tso's Chicken tonight after watching some videos on Youtube. Cut up some chicken breast, egg and floured them and then fried them crisp. Made Fried Rice in the Wok on the egg, and let me just say this was a blast!! There are a few things that I want to change and tweak but this was more fun than I have had in awhile. Wife was very impressed and I have to say, for being my own worst critic, it turned out better than I thought it would! Will be doing this again and often. I will never go out for chinese again! Thanks for the inspiration leading up to this VI and all the other members that have posted Wok type cooks that have lead me to this. Great time and great food!!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    That looks fantastic.  I need to get a little more serious about my wok.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Looks great!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • NightwingXP
    Thanks guys. This cook tonight made me REAL serious about my wok Doc. My mind is racing with what to do next. Very good meal!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Well done! I should be wokking in the next week or so...can't wait to get started!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks outstanding. Very nich.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    That looks fantastic Nightwing.  Yesterday morning Martin Yan was on the Cooking Channel with Sara Moulton doing chinese dishes. Look it up you might like the dishes he prepared...one was with lobsters
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394

Now you did it...I guess I need to get on the wok revolution.  :\">

I love wok style food and I am pretty picky when it comes to getting it at restaurants, so what better way to get into wok'ing.

• NightwingXP

Now you did it...I guess I need to get on the wok revolution.  :\">

I love wok style food and I am pretty picky when it comes to getting it at restaurants, so what better way to get into wok'ing.

I am actually a picky person myself Joe but when you are making it yourself you can pick what you want and don't want in the dish. What better way to do it than doing it yourself. This was easily one of the best chinese dishes I have had. Can't wait to do it again!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Very nice NXP. About time for my wok to make another appearance. So much to cook, so little time. I think all week about what I can try next.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    @NXP - My thoughts exactly.  Probably going Wok shopping this afternoon.  Any recommendations on a good Wok for a large?
  • NightwingXP
    @NXP - My thoughts exactly.  Probably going Wok shopping this afternoon.  Any recommendations on a good Wok for a large?
    I think VI had stated that a 16" was a good sized wok for a large. Don't quote me. I have a medium and I bought a 14". It fits perfect. I got a wok ring for mine and just set the BGE grate on the fire ring, then the wok ring on top of that. It worked but the wok ring slid around quite a bit. I think I am going to get the wok ring from Tom at CGS. It fits right into the fire ring of the Egg and it gets it a little closer to the coals. This way the wok cannot slide on me too. I have heard from other posts that the coals are where the real heat comes from, not the flames. I actually could have had my heat a little hotter so this appeals to me. Otherwise great cook! Good luck wok shopping. If you don't fine anything go to Ms. Chan's site at wokshop.com. Great lady! Good products and fair prices. Too much fun!!