Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pitmasters. We gave it our best.

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
They are filming now, and Dizzy Pig is not there, but we gave it our best! 
 Lots to see if you search youtube for "pitmasters audition". 

Was tough, as they only added a few new teams from hundreds of audition tapes. But it was fun!

We finally uploaded ours....wanted to wait until the decisions were made.
Any suggestions on improving our presentation are appreciated!!
Cheers, and happy cookin.
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    You did great Chris!  The only thing I might think of doing next time is the inclusion of finished cooks.  Maybe even record random people tasting some of your Q and commenting about how awesome is.  Just a thought.  Good luck and hope to see you and your team on the show eventually.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Good luck next time.

I hope Sapp's annoying a$$ isn't on this season.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks cazzy. Yeah, finished cooks and action shots from some of our ninety some contests would have helped. They called me a week before the deadline for the open audition (which had been up for a while) and asked me to send in a video. Had no idea they were casting, so we had pretty limited time and no experience! We have lots of pictures, but almost no video. Need to get in the mode of bringing the video camera to the contests, and turning it on! 
    Much appreciate the comments. Great suggestion.Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BYS, I saw a picture of the judging setup in Mississppi they shot last weekend, and I didn't see Sapp.BeersChris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BYS1981
    Options
    Excellent. As a Raider fan I especially dislike him.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    BYS,

the only thing harder than being a Raider fan is admitting you are one

George
    George
  • cazzy
    edited March 2012
    Options
    @Nature Boy Since you brought up competition...I have a question for you. I assume you use dizzy pig products exclusively during comps...what are your go to dizzy products for each category? Or do you just change it up? I have your entire line and it's a little overwhelming so I don't really know where to start. I have read your site in regards to recommendations, but alot of them are suggested for the same meats. I guess I'm just curious what yields the best results in the competition world.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    cazzy,

I was wondering the same thing. I love the Dizzy Pig products and I keep adding them to the line-up but now I get stuck on which one to use. 

Chris,

Nice job on the video. I really your products!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    raging river on salmon is fan frigging tastic.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    @Nature Boy....You guys are up in NoVa?  Any chance of coming up with a Hokie rub for poultry.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• cazzy
    Options
    Thanks Nature Boy!! I was wondering if you would reveal but Im incredibly thankful that you did. It gives me a baseline for where to start for sure.

It's got to be a good feeling to see some of your competition using your product huh?

Look forward to to my next cook even more now!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Chris, you're a natural in front of the camera......can't believe they did not pick ya.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Got a pantry full of DP rubs!    It's a shame you didn't make it.  :-q
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    NB, here's my core perception. I thought the demo was not very well joined. It seemed like three different sections, and almost three different of you.

I'm not familiar with the show, so I don't know what sort of drama the producers are looking for. I watched a bunch of youtube demo videos. They are all over the place. I suppose the basic dynamic in the show is "established champion vs. up-and-comer." Maybe emphasize how DP could play that role. Does it matter to the judges or producers what your back ground is? I suspect not. If they are asking for background, you have to make such a presentation, but I do think they are looking for something else. What is the edge that DP will offer to drive interest in the show?

So, you guys have helped lots of us make better 'Q. I suppose it is not good to just make an advertisement. But, I suppose you could mention how many millions of pounds of good food you have helped with your rubs.

"Flavor and savor for every neighbor!"
    "We'll show you how to spice the meat. We'll show you how to cook a treat!"

Well, good luck. Cheers from the back bleachers.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks much for the feedback. Very helpful. Yeah, the show is pretty drama filled.

Awesome points about not going into background so much.  You're right...it really doesn't matter necessarily.

I had  3-5 minutes to let them know who I was, but they only needed 20 seconds to decide if I was who they were looking for to fill the role ;) 

This year, we'll be making an effort to fire the camera up more at contests and other events, and perhaps get some good action. And no doubt trying a new approach.  Maybe one year! We'll keep grindin. 

Thanks again man.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    @ Nature Boy
    Do you cook exclusively on the eggs at the competitions?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Gato. Yes, just the Eggs. We love being able to cook each meat in it's own environment with different levels of smoke and heat. They have done us well!
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • woody's wood pit
    Options

Love your set up but where is the mini? :)  could use it for show and to spice up your videos...good luck

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Woody. We take the mini about half the time. Especially if we have tuna, or something else we want a killer sear on. Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BYS1981
    Options
    BYS,

the only thing harder than being a Raider fan is admitting you are one

George
    After the last 10 years.. these last 2 have been cake to be proud to say I'm a Raider fan, lol.  Heck, my wife has been a season ticket holder through it all.