Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Pork Tenderloin w/ Pictures, and an introduction.

Options
BYS1981
BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

I am Bryan and this is not my first post, but I wanted to do a formal introduction on this post.  I have had my medium egg for approximately a month and love it.  I have cooked several things, but the only item that matters is this pork tenderloin I did yesterday because I don't have pictures for the rest haha!  I have been bbqing for approximately 4 years, and mostly with propane up until my egg.  I went from being uncomfortable in bbqing for myself to now bbqing for my party's.  I did a brisket this Superbowl on my propane grill, but I had watched a review of smokers on Cooks Illustrated (HIGHLY recommend this site, cooksillustrated.com ) and was dying to get a smoker.  I wanted an egg for a while and finally splurged and got it this year.  Anyhow, I plan to contribute regularly.

I brined these two pork tenderloins for an hour in 3 tablespoons of salt, 4 cups of water, and 3/4 cup of sugar.  I seasoned lightly with pepper after drying the brine off and didn't add salt because I had already added salt.  I cooked indirect for approx 45 minutes at 450 F.  Turned out great.  My wife and I had biscuits, the pork, and green beans.  I purposefully did biscuits because I knew I could do breakfast with the leftovers!

Comments

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

Looks great.  If you want to brown up the outside, next time cook them at the same temp down low until browned on all sides them do them the rest of the way raised grid direct.  They will still be just as moist inside but browned nicely on the outside.  I use the AR and finish them on the top level which is a couple of inces above the felt line.

George

George
  • BYS1981
    Options

Looks great.  If you want to brown up the outside, next time cook them at the same temp down low until browned on all sides them do them the rest of the way raised grid direct.  They will still be just as moist inside but browned nicely on the outside.  I use the AR and finish them on the top level which is a couple of inces above the felt line.

George

Thanks for the info.. I will try that once I get a raised grid, currently I am pretty stock as far as gadgets go.  I have a platesetter, ashtool, and a thermometer.. I am slowly but surely building my gizmo collection.

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

Looks good...I have done the brines with good results, but I have recently gotten into stuffed tenderloins/loins.  My favorite to date is hot pepper cheese stuffed pork tenderloin.

Welcome - skies the limit now!

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Those look great! I have yet to do a pork tenderloin on my BGE....might give it a shot this weekend.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • BYS1981
    Options
    As a kid we only had pork chops, fried served with homestyle fries and usually rice pilaf.. I had to expand my horizon for tenderloin. It was great, I have yet to stuff any meats other than a chicken a while back - I didnt get my desired results and will need to hone my stuffing skills.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

I have yet to do the stuffing myself as I am spoiled by my local butcher who does it for me, but you can see from the pics it doesn't look too difficult.  It was like having the best hot ham and cheese sandwich you could ever dream of!

Cook thread here

• BYS1981
    Options
    I am actually looking for a local butcher, closest I have found so far is 25 miles away. There are various latino and asian meat markets, but they're limited in selection.