Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why should I buy a Big Green Egg?

2»

Comments

• Dave B
    Dave B Posts: 25
    Mike Flom,
    In addition to what's been said, the egg allows the most consistent heat I've seen outside a conventional oven. I've been an egg owner/user for one month, but been cooking for 40 years. I've owned all types, currently have a really nice stainless gasser, but I can't get even heat in it. Typically, the rear is much hotter than the front. The egg has not been hard to learn, I've had the best ribs, brisket, steak and pizza I've ever had in the past month from the BGE.[p]I'm afraid my gas grill is now a deck ornament.[p]If you like to cook as an experience rather than as means to an end, get the egg. I built a cart with pneumatic tires for my large that makes it as portable as my gas grill. [p]Just my 2 cents.[p]Dave B

• Gwen,
    Sorry comparisons are against the rules of the forum.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Mark Backer,[p]Please don't post a photo of your desk.... anything food related to distract me from work would be good.... but please, nothing to remind of work on this gorgeous day.[p]John

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    While product comparisons are against the rules, I'll tell you the two main reasons that swayed my decision 8 years ago:[p]1) Customer Service- Unparalleled
    2) The BGE Forum- Ditto[p]It's only gotten better since then and I'm 99% sure that if you buy one, your life will be changed, sometimes drastically, for the better. That sounds ridiculous to say about any cooker, but there are plenty of folks here who would say the same thing.[p]Good luck whatever you decide.[p]All the best,
    Jim

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Dave, maybe someone has said it before, but I don't remember reading it. Your comment about cooking on the Egg being an "....experience, rather than a means to an end..." is right on the money. The Egg is certainly not for everyone, but those who do answer the calling are greatly rewarded![p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Mike Flom,
    I think others have addressed the upfront cost. This is a long-term asset.[p]Unless you see yourself building a table or cart, get the nest. It makes the egg mobile. I cook in New England and move it next to the deck door in the winter. (Remember to pull it, not push!) Now it sits around the corner. Also, the ceramic mass keeps the temp stable even when it's 5 degrees outside with a stiff breeze.[p]I'm a relative rookie just finishing my first year on the egg with about 150 cooks under my belt. Still working on the original gasket.[p]I concur. Don't start down the learning curve with a $40 hunk of meat! I learned with spatchcock chickens and pork tenderloins. Then pizza. Then my first boston butt! Life will never be the same...[p]Paul

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Gwen,[p]Sutter Home and Hearth in Ballard fires up an egg every Saturday. I do believe I'm going to drive there from West Seattle today and buy one.
  • Jim,[p]Really?! Do you know if the one in Woodinville does as well? They are actually closer and easier to get to for me. I was at the one in Ballard when we were looking at Agas. (Can you tell we are serious about our cookers? <g>)[p]:) Gwen

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    fishlessman,
    20 ounce pints. Now THERE is a concept![p]Jones'n for a couple Guinni right now.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimE
    Gwen,[p]I didn't know there was one in Woodinville, but it's probably worth giving them a call. I read your postings yesterday, because I had posted a similar query on Saturday, and I was curious about your somewhat reverential mention of this Aga. So I looked it up on Google and it does indeed look fascinating— if they have them in Ballard I'll check them out. You're going to be doing some serious cooking. Bon Appetit.[p]Jim
  • Mike Flom,
    I looked at it the same way initially. However, I know several individuals that have gone through a couple of $200 or so gas grills, plus, have another H2O smoker that they don't like nor use. I was in that boat once. I decided after the first sunbeam bit the dust close to ten years ago that I was looking for something more. It truly is everything that we all claim it to be and more. My wife had the biggest initial time understanding my choice but wishes I would have done it sooner. Plus...talk about not only great factory support from the folks down in Atlanta...the folks on the forum here have tried most everything you can think of to grill & we all have encountered the same concerns that someone may have in the future. We're all in the same family here and quite content. Come on in, the door is open.....

• Jim,[p]They do have them in Ballard but I don't believe they are 'live' (turned on). Agas are on all the time, they don't even have knobs or dials.[p]You can do some serious slow cooking in them, too, altho you would not get the bbq flavor - a different type of slow cooking.[p]There is a yahoo group, agalovers, and that I have been a member of for a few years while I dreamed of owning my own (which will arrive in the USA around 7/4 btw), and that list is where I first heard of the egg.[p]One person was talking about wanting an egg but was just getting his Aga and didn't want to spoil the uniqueness of a new Aga by having a new egg at the same time. lol[p]I would say that both of these cookers would appeal to the same type of person. And here's the best part. After looking at an Aga, the egg will appear downright thrifty in comparison![p]Gwen
  • JimE
    Gwen,[p]Thanks for the info. I will definitely take a close look at the Agas, including their price tags, before venturing into the Egg zone. Good luck with your goodies, and I hope you get the Egg by Father's Day so as not to dilute the unique joy of either new arrival. (BTW, if you bought your Aga from Sutter, it seems to me they ought to give you a discount on an Egg.) [p]Jim
  • Jim,[p]
    I didn't. :( I bought it from Anderson's in Mt Vernon as we were buying 5 other appliances and I could get the best deal from them on all the rest. Ballard didn't carry all that we wanted.[p]Basically the retailer is just a middle man where the Aga is concerned. I dealt with the distributor for everything, except the actual order.[p]Wonder if Anderson carries Eggs....[p]Gwen

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Gwen,
    just before buying my egg i purchased a cluny from lacanche. at the time i needed 2 ovens. when the egg came, that was the end of the oven use. still use the big wok burner on the stove top and the simmer plate, but the ovens are only used during the holidays and not for the turkey or prime rib etc. last summer i used one of the ovens to reheat some pulled pork and it caught fire, a mouse had been storing the dry dog food in there. i think youll like the aga, but youll love the egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Nature Boy,
    20 oz pints are standard in the UK. (imperial measure old boy).
    They got it right!
    CHeers, Bob

• fishlessman,[p]What color did you get? At one time, the cluny was my second choice behind Aga. Then I switched to garland as my 2nd. Cluny moved down to 3rd. <g>[p]I will admit, they are the most beautiful ovens, #1 in that regard.[p]I think if I had a garland or cluny, I would love the grilling on top idea. I know I'll love the Aga and use it a lot. I love the idea of not having to turn it on and wait for it to heat up. I'm super lazy. If only the egg could be always on......[p]One thing that has occurred to me is the heat in the kitchen during the summer. If it gets too bad (it shouldn't living in the PNW but we have a small poorly designed kitchen that gets pretty hot even without an Aga), we can turn the Aga off and just use the egg. Pull out the microwave, which will be banished upon Dorothy's (name of Aga) arrival, and we'd be set.[p]Hubby really loves to bbq. We always fight over whether I get to make the turkey in the oven or he gets to bbq it every Thanksgiving. I don't think he's even aware the egg or any ceramic cooker exisits. I could be wrong about that, tho. But he's certainly never mentioned it. I'm sure he'll just shake his head in amazement when he sees it. I won't tell him the cost til we've had a few meals on it. ;)[p]Gwen
  • fishlessman
    2004_0115Image0003.jpg
    <p />Gwen,
    the grill features, i find are a little over rated. on this forum youll learn a steak method called TREX. can easily be done (sear) with a cast iron pan on one of those big burners you will have and a later roast in the oven of the steak. this will give some nice juices in the pan for mushroon sauces. youll think that its the best steak youve ever eaten, then youll do it on the egg and find out how much better a steak can be. with those big burners, youll also need some lecrueset pots. a braiser and a large pot are must haves for both the stove and the egg

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    2005002444.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,
    if your going to have a fresh guinness it has to be in the right glass. an imperial pint. dont ask me why, but guinness served in this shaped glass taste better than
    1ffc26e5.jpg
    this shaped glass

fukahwee maine

• Nature Boy
    bobbyb,
    That's it. I'm moving![p]"live imperially" is what I say.[p]Just cracked a crisp bass ale, in the "imperial" 12 ounce bottle!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    fishlessman,
    You pick whatever glass you want. I'll take the other one![p]Clink!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • fishlessman,[p]Thanks, I'll have to try that.[p]That is one pretty stove you have there![p]Gwen
  • When I was building my lake house I rented a place for the summer a couple doors down from the lady I bought the lake lot from. She showed me the old orange cast version and told me how much her deceased husband loved it. I thought yeah right, I'm going back to charcoal? I think not. Bought a cheap gas grill for around $120 in 1997 which has long since been discarded. My buddy bought an Egg, I had a steak on it and bought my own the next week. I would bring the large back and forth from the house to the cabin for the summer, now I have 2 larges instead, getting a small soon for when I'm cooking a steak or burger or some type of seafood for myself when I'm at the lake alone. I have at least six friends who have bought them since tasting dinner from mine and I don't consider myself a real EGGER, as it's about my fourth or fifth favorite toy.[p]You won't regret it![p]We always cook the Turkey on Thanksgiving on the Egg, Prime Rib on Christmas and ribs, steak, burgers, etc. on other holidays. Can't beat a turkey on the egg, moist, good, cheap and so easy. I like too cook everything whole, tenderloins, whole ribeyes, whole beef or pork tenderloins, beer butt chicken or spatchcocked and more. It's just so easy.[p]Did anyone mention the grilled salmon
  • fishlessman,
    the fact that you are comparing a charcoal grilled steak to one cooked in a skillet is scary to me. Don't you remeber all of those foods that you had on the fourth of july growing up. The charcoal flavor adds so much. And the egg is the greatest grill ever made. Take it from someone who own a bbq retail shop. i would take an egg over any other grill on the market.

• fishlessman
    Scrambled eggs,
    when you sear in a pan over 18000 btu its not pan fried, its more comparable to a propane grill in taste. no comparison to egged steak, just something i used to do before the egg. didnt mean to put a scare in ya

fukahwee maine