Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bratwurst, Kielbasa & Italian Sausage

NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook up several of each tonight but this will be a first for me.  I would appreciate any advice y'all have.  Do you simmer in beer first?  
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I have read that if you simmer first for about 5-10 minutes that it will toughen the casings just enough to help them not burst as easy while grilling.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Since I am German, I have grilled of few brats in my day.  Not a fan of simmering in beer.  I save beer for drinking. (see earlier reference to being German)  I grill brats and Italian suasages direct over medium low heat.  Too high of heat will cause the casings to burst and you will be left with dry sausage.  Keep turning frequently and they will eventually brown up real nice.  Takes about 20 min total over medium low heat.  Be patient.  Nice and slow is the way to go.  While they are going, throw on some thick slices of red onoin that have been brushed with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Then some rinsed/drained saurkraut in foil just to get warm.  Load bun with brat, spicy hot mustard, grilled red onions and kraut.  Chug a stein of cold brew and dance a polka....Good times.

Living Large and XL

• Thank you, @lilwooty!  I am happy to hear about the beer - I'd rather drink it.   I'll let you know how it turns out! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    actually, simmering will cook them gently, which is basically what keeps them from bursting.  doesn't toughen the skins, just cooks them properly.  grill for color if you want, but do it at lower temps.  i go 400 on an extended grid.  cooks them slowly enough that they don't burst.

simmering in beer... nah.  none if the beer gets in, since the casing is essentially waterproof (for our purposes anyway)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Personally, I have always simmered in beer. Last time I did it both ways and gave them to several people and asked them to tell me which was better without sharing that I simmered one of them in beer. 100% said the beer simmered was better. Test pool was 6 people mixed men and women. Coincidence? Drunkedness? Who knows, but I will stick with beer simmered. I agree with Stike on cooking method. When I put them on the egg, they go on the grill extender.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    I would never put them in beer FIRST.  That's a form of par-cooking and never good for any meat.
    Where I come from, many put the brats in a mixture of beer/onions/butter AFTER you pull them off the grill to keep them warm plus the mixture produces a tasty onion to then put on the brat/bun.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Just like anything. All a matter of preference.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

Ok, I'm very militant about this subject, I grew up in Sheboygan County Wisconsin, home of Johnsonville Brats, Miesfelds Triangle Meat Market Brats, and Poth Meat Market Brats.  We know a little bit about how to cook and eat brats in the true "Sheboygan Style".  Boiling in beer is akin to cooking a great steak well done and covering it with ketchup!  Just cook slowly over a raised grate and a low fire turning often, until firm to the touch.  I usually tap with my tongs until it bounces. Never, never, NEVER poke them.

We had this thing here called a "brat fry", don't worry we don't "deep fry" brats in oil.  A charcoal grill is commonly called a "fryer", so we fire up the 'fryer' and 'fry' some brats.  (you can see the Whiz's charcoal review of "Grove Charcoal" for anothers description of 'fry'.  Over the years I have cooked tons of brats on big 2.5' x 4' charcoal grills that hold 10 to 15 lbs of brats at a time for a 5-6 hour shift.

After cooking they move to a "hot tub" of beer and onions to keep warm and are served 2 at a time on a Sheboygan hardroll (looks kinda like a kaiser roll but very different) with sliced onion, brown musturd, some do sliced dills and ketchup, all in a "sam'ich" called a Double Brat!  Pure Heaven! 

from my youth I will always remember the song....'Ya-hey once'en-so, a bratwurst and a beer to go, ya-hey once'en-so Sheboygan Bratwurst Day'...http://brat-days.com/

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited March 2012

Ok, I'm very militant about this subject, I grew up in Sheboygan County Wisconsin, home of Johnsonville Brats, Miesfelds Triangle Meat Market Brats, and Poth Meat Market Brats.  We know a little bit about how to cook and eat brats in the true "Sheboygan Style".  Boiling in beer is akin to cooking a great steak well done and covering it with ketchup!  Just cook slowly over a raised grate and a low fire turning often, until firm to the touch.  I usually tap with my tongs until it bounces. Never, never, NEVER poke them.

We had this thing here called a "brat fry", don't worry we don't "deep fry" brats in oil.  A charcoal grill is commonly called a "fryer", so we fire up the 'fryer' and 'fry' some brats.  (you can see the Whiz's charcoal review of "Grove Charcoal" for anothers description of 'fry'.  Over the years I have cooked tons of brats on big 2.5' x 4' charcoal grills that hold 10 to 15 lbs of brats at a time for a 5-6 hour shift.

After cooking they move to a "hot tub" of beer and onions to keep warm and are served 2 at a time on a Sheboygan hardroll (looks kinda like a kaiser roll but very different) with sliced onion, brown musturd, some do sliced dills and ketchup, all in a "sam'ich" called a Double Brat!  Pure Heaven! 

from my youth I will always remember the song....'Ya-hey once'en-so, a bratwurst and a beer to go, ya-hey once'en-so Sheboygan Bratwurst Day'...http://brat-days.com/

I can't believe there is someone else on this forum, posting on this thread, who also grew up in Sheboygan!  I was never much of a "hot tubber", but I've certainly cooked my share of good brats.  Nice description!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    More about this hot tub of beer and onions please.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Brat Hot Tub, see link here:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I salmon/steelhead fish the Sheboygan river! Does that count for something? FWIW, I never par boil brats. Sometimes I'll use the beer bath after they're cooked. The only garnish used is mustard and kraut.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    I salmon/steelhead fish the Sheboygan river! Does that count for something? FWIW, I never par boil brats. Sometimes I'll use the beer bath after they're cooked. The only garnish used is mustard and kraut.
    Close enough.  You're now a member of the Professional Brat Cooking Club!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Sweet! I just have to add to just say no to ketchup.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Ketchup on a brat???  I think Opa just rolled over in his grave!  Ach du lieber!

Living Large and XL

• +1 on no pre cook, but hot tub if you are going to cook many for a crowd.  The hot tub is a great use for your unused gasser that has been neglected since you purchased your egg.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Brat Hot Tub, see link here:
    Gosh, that looks good. I'll try that, and soon. Thanks for the link.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited March 2012
    I ALWAYS put my sausages in  Beer.  Recipe is pretty simple.  Drink beer while grilling then eat.  Sausage will be surrounded by beer. ;)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I ALWAYS put my sausages in  Beer.  Recipe is pretty simple.  Drink beer while grilling then eat.  Sausage will be surrounded by beer. ;)
    That is what I did! :D  I like the idea of the beer & onion bath after the cook -- next time! 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited March 2012
    Update & Pictures:

I ended up cooking these as suggested -- low-medium heat with a raised grate, turning often.

Everyone loved them. I think I will try the hot tub of beer & onions next time!

Bratwurst, Kielbasa & Italian SausageBratwurst, Kielbasa & Italian Sausage

Bratwurst, Kielbasa & Italian Sausage
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012

A suggestion (did at Salado morning cook) if you are in Texas and have a Central Market or can get your people to put togather: Maple syrup,blueberrys, pork sausage: Pancake in a sausage

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• O. M. G.  :-O Seriously?!?  Mmmmmmm!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I have had those Mickey --   Kristi they are absolutely as good as they sound.

If your in DFW area - Rudolphs makes their own brats - those are awesome as well.

My tried and true method of brats on the gasser was always - boil, grill, then back in the beer and onions.

On the Egg, I have been cooking indirect 250 or so with smoke flavoring.

For immediate consumption pull at 160.   If I am cooking them early, pull at 140, place in a oven cooking bag, then immerce in ice water for a few minutes.   Refrig - when ready to eat - warm them up ( either egg or gasser, doesnt matter at that point ) till they hit 160.    The ice water bath keeps them from shriveling when they cool off.

Cookin in Texas
  • Jan_WassisMeats
    Jan_WassisMeats Posts: 30
    edited March 2012

Mikey, those look fantastic. We make our own breakfast sausage and then mix it with maple syrup and fresh blueberries before stuffing in a casing. We have a local restaurant that buys them from us. They cook them then wrap a pancake around them and sell them for a breakfast special.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Jan - that sounds and looks awesome.    Seems like the best "sausage" is local made based on the region.   Thinking we need a WassisMeats in DFW.
    Cookin in Texas