Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork butt

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited March 2012 in Pork
Ok all, Looks like I'll be doing my first real long cook this weekend with a 6 lb pork butt. 
=D> with apple or cherry chunks.

Now, I know I'm going to be shooting for about 200 internal temp, and that I need to cook to temp not time (just for serving an estimate, I'm planning on using 1.75 - 2 hours per lb), when it's done, and not to panic during the plateau but.........

Should I brine the pork first like I've done for a picnic shoulder in my old vertical?  
Any other advice will be appreciated, but I cant promise I'll follow. ;)

Thanks 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• Hammond1
    Hammond1 Posts: 31
    Options

Sounds about right. You'll get all sorts of opinions on temperature. I like to cook mine at somewhere 210-220. I pull at 195 and foilf, wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler for a while.

I never brine anything and rarely inject it. I simply coat it with a mustard mix and then dry rub.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

+1 on your steps

if your managing cook temp with dome thermometer - run it around 250 or so - easier to keep the heat stable.   At that - would probably run 1.5 or a little more per pound to hit 195 internal.    You are correct - cook to temp - but I like to have a planning window.

I never brine a butt.   Many schools of thought on trimming ( just my opinion ) I trim as much of the outside fat off as possible - mustard coating - rub - wrap in plastic wrap 3-4 hours refrigerator time.   Take it out - put more rub - then rub brown sugar on top of the rub.    The brown sugar would be dependent on the rub that you chose - the degree which you desire bark - and personal preference in flavoring.

Rest it -- if its going to be longer than an hour - then foil and ice chest.

Cookin in Texas
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options

Do exactly what Hammond said.  I inject the night before the cook and apply the rub the next day before I throw it on the egg.  Don't over look Pecan wood either.  Its noticibly smoother and extreamely mild. Below is my last shoulder: 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just one man's opinion, but no need to rest it, if you want to eat right away.   ...other than maybe to let it cool a bit if you pull by hand. in that case, rest an hour on the counter or so.  it won't cool too much, but just enough to keep you from scalding yourself with steam.

keeping it in the cooler will keep it hot for a few hours if you are done early, but resting as a rule doesn't really benefit like resting a roast does.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hammond1
    Hammond1 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yep. No NEED to rest it. That is just how the timing usually works out for me. I need to get folks to come over for lunch instead of supper :-)
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Stike is 100% correct. I've cooked multiple butts and found no reason to let a butt rest. Get some bear claws and pull immeadiately. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL