Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Awaiting Delivery - What Should we Cook First?

Sandi_kSandi_k Posts: 47
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, our BGE is due to be delivered tomorrow. I know we're supposed to keep the heat down for the first 5-6 meals to protect the seal, so no searing of steaks. What would you suggest for our Break-In Cooking meal?

Looking forward to playing with it sometime soon!
·

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,446
    Peppers
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,446
    Peppers.1.2
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • bsgatorbsgator Posts: 30
    I would recommend spatchcock chicken which is delicious, easy, and keeps the temp down. You can find plenty of recipes here and other places.
    ·
  • Spatchcock chicken
    photo (2).JPG 388.2K
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 979
    spatchcock chicken... 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • Load it up with lump and throw a butt on there. It's a super forgiving cook and tastes phonominal. A butt was my first egg success.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,053
    Just a heads up expect the gasket to fail. I followed all directions and mine failed while cooking at 400. I wish I would have gone with a nomex gasket from the get go.
    ·
  • FlyingTivoFlyingTivo Posts: 341
    I would highly recommend that you remove the gasket before your first cook. That is what i did and it was easy. Took me about 10 minutes to fully remove it. The Rutland was on in other 10 min and let it dry/cure overnight. Mind i only removed the bottom felt gasket and left the top gasket on.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
    ·
  • Sandi_kSandi_k Posts: 47
    So if we went with the spatchcock chicken, do you turn it? What dome temp? We don't have a Thermotemp yet, and this is with the OEM dome thermometer.
    ·
  • GarlicGarlic Posts: 40
    First thing you need to do before firing up is to calibrate your thermometer. Sometimes they are way off.
    ·
  • tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    I suggest doing something simple first, burgers, chicken.  Makes it easier to get used to temp control.  Then move on to other stuff as you get the hang of it.  The stock gasket will burn off t some point but the warrenty covers it.  You're going to love it!
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited March 2012
    I'll vote for what I made a Pork loin (click for link), decent temp, decent time, very forgivable: 

(sorry for large pic. trying new photbucket account.need to see about how to get those thumbnails.)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    Spatch **** here too. Let it sit in the fridge uncovered overnight to get crispier skin texture. Fire up the egg and stabilize it around ~375. I like to toss in some apple wood chunks.

Throw your favorite chix seasoning or rub on the bird while the egg warms up. I put EVO on as well. Place it on the egg direct and preferably raised grid if you have the means to do so. I like to put it breast down for the first 15 minutes or so for a little char then flip for the remainder of the cook, bout 1.5 hrs or desired internal temp. I think around 180 thigh, 165 breast.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·