Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Village Idiot's Wife Cooking

chill243
chill243 Posts: 131
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I saw the pic posted, now I want one!! We've only had our LBGE for 2 1/2 months, but I think the mini would be great.  Here's my question, is it easier to clean and work?  I have a 40 gallon aquarium and bought a nano (tiny) for salt water, but it was too hard to maintain, thus smaller isn't always easier.  What are your comments?  TY

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Smaller is easier in this case. I would not take for my pair of Minis.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Ah, my wife the movie star !  We've only done 4 cooks on our mini, so I'm no expert.  I did find that my ash tool for the Large wouldn't fit in the lower vent on the Mini.  But, no problem.  It uses such a small amount of lump, I just took that out and pushed the ash out from the top through the vent.  Wasn't hard to clean at all. Maybe there's an easier way, but I don't know it yet.

As far as easier to work, I'm realizing a bit of a learning curve.  The food is closer to the charcoal, so it tends to cook faster than on my Large.  Just a bit to get used to.

We are very glad we got the mini.  I think, with just us two, that we will save a lot of money, just on using less charcoal.  And, as you saw in the picture, it will easily cook enough for two people.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    edited March 2012

Gary I just cut down two of LawnRangers tools (didn't need due to HighQue) and picked up a larger bracket for the Large and smaller bracket for the Mini. Works well

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Great, Mickey.  Thanks.

My sister in law in Tennessee is a welder.  I'll show her your picture and have her spot weld me an ash tool.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    So...... The title of this has me thinking. Would Village Idiot's wife be called mrs idiot? I doubt Pam would approve. Perhaps she needs her own handle. :D
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chill243
    Idiot, I live in TN, can she make me one for a mini??
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    So...... The title of this has me thinking. Would Village Idiot's wife be called mrs idiot? I doubt Pam would approve. Perhaps she needs her own handle. :D
    Actually, Travis.  She's pissed that I use that handle. I KNOW she wouldn't want that name for her, especially since she's a Ph.D. in Nursing..

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Idiot, I live in TN, can she make me one for a mini??
    Chill. I'll ask.  Where are you in TN?  She's in Greeneville.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• chill243
    just outside of Knoxville  :)  :)
  • Village Idiot
    just outside of Knoxville  :)  :)
    You're close.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    edited March 2012

Yeah she could use it to beat you with Travis !!!

=))
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Mickey
    Actually, Travis.  She's pissed that I use that handle. I KNOW she wouldn't want that name for her, especially since she's a Ph.D. in Nursing..

My vote is "Village Mayor"

• Village Idiot
    If you all are smart, you'll vote for "Yes Ma'am". That's what I call her.   =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    +1. Niiiice call Mickey!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I used to be a welder (many years ago!!), however, this would be easy.. Just get a butane torch, the long rod (bent as in the first original post), an angle bracket and a wire coat-hanger.  heat the angle and rod and use the wire hanger as "solder",  I have brazed holes in tail pipes using this method **mannnny years ago**... 

• chill243
    Easy for you to say!
  • Knoxville? I was born in Knoxville! As far as gettin ash out - I just my Dyson Vac. Works great.