Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Egging Opportunity

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Annual Blues and Barbecue Festival will be held in Greenwood SC (halfway between Greenville SC and Augusta GA on US Hwy 25) on July 15-16. The local dealer (Quarles Supply) along with the SC BGE Distributor (Cherokee Stove from Augusta) are donating a large BGE to be given away at the end of the festival. YB, Smokey and I plan to be there to do some demo cooking at the Quarles booth while JSLOT will be competing on his eggs. There will also be two other teams (Merry Oaks and Green Eggs & Ham)that use eggs in their cooking as well. It's a great venue with a lot of good music on Friday and Saturday nights as well as during the day on Saturday. The unique thing here is the BBQ Hash contest. BBQ hash is a SC treat done no where else in the world as far as I know. Come join us for a fun weekend.
[ul][li]Link to Festival Teams[/ul]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wise One,
    oh man, a hash contest!?!?!. .. i should come down and enter. . . i love making hash on the egg .. ..[p]http://www.wessb.com/Allfests/Eggfest05/Max cooks breakfast.JPG

[ul][li]http://www.wessb.com/Allfests/Eggfest05/Max%20cooks%20breakfast.JPG[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wise One,
    and here's the finished product. ...

[ul][li]http://www.wessb.com/Allfests/Eggfest05/Max's%20Breakfast%20Hash.JPG[/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That's not exactly the type of hash that goes with BBQ, Max. LOL. At least not down here in South Cackalacky. SC BBQ hash should be experienced by all true BBQ afficianados. It's one of those things you either love or hate. :)[p]All the best,
    Jim

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    see, i'm just an ignorant jewish guy in virginia.. . please do tell. .. what is sc bbq'd hash?? . ..

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JSlot,
    So... how about posting a recipe? Not even nine aye em, and my taste buds are tingling.[p]Ken

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wise One,
    I look forward to being there and cooking with you and Damon again this year.Max here is a simple recipe for hash.
    Larry

[ul][li]Georgia Hash[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    YB,
    thanks larry, that sounds delicious. ..and jslot is right ..it isn't like any hash i've ever heard of. .. where i come from hash always starts with taters. ...learn something new here every day.. . .

• Wise One
    Options
    BlueSmoke, has recipes are quite different but here are a couple:
    Barbecue Hash - South Carolina Style

This ain't chunky hash. This is traditional lowland South Carolina style hash, served over cooked rice. It should have the consistency of thin pudding, be a reddish/brown color, with small hunks of potatoes.
    [p]Ingredients
    2 lbs chicken breast meat, coarse chopped
    2 lbs pork butt, coarse chopped
    1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4-6 fresh chopped and seeded
    5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and shredded
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup rub
    12 oz Barbecue sauce

Procedure
    1 In 12 quart stock pot, sauté onions in oil until translucent, add rub and stir until well blended.
    2 Add chicken and pork, sauté 5 - 7 minutes on medium heat.
    3 Add water to cover (approx. 1/2 gallon), then add tomatoes.
    4 Bring to boil, add carrots.
    5 Cook until tomatoes start to break up, then add potatoes.
    6 Cook until potatoes have broken down, then add barbecue sauce.
    7 Serve hot over rice.

Recipe Source
    Author: Posted to the BBQ List on July 5, 1998 by bigwheel

J.T.'s Hash

My uncle, the late J. T. Wood, of Ninety Six, South Carolina was probably one of the finest southern cooks who ever lived. Some of my earliest memories are of my father and Uncle "T" barbecuing over an open pit and making hash in a huge cast iron pot. This is his hash recipe, or at least a close approximation.
    [p]Ingredients
    12 lbs Beef
    12 lbs Pork
    3 lbs Onions
    1/2 cup Vinegar
    1- 1/2 Tbs Sage
    2 Tbs Ginger
    2 Tbs Brown Sugar

Directions
    1 Cook meat until tender.
    2 Cut meat up and add onions and spices. Season to taste with black pepper and salt.

Recipe Source
    Source: Ted Paintert painter@esva.net

[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks! These sound good enough to eat. <grin>[p]We'll give it a try.[p]Ken

• Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I checked the linked site but there was no directions to the location, no schedule of events, and no information on the entertainment. Is that available elsewhere or will it be posted at a later date. My wife just told me she would like me to take her to the festivities as part of her birthday present. Am I a lucky guy or what???? If there is more info available it would be a great help.[p]Larry
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Humpty:[p]check out the link below[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Greenwood, SC[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    SSN686,[p]Thanks for the link--this answers my questions. Already looking forward to the trip.[p]Larry
  • JSlot
    Options
    Hi, Max. Hi, Ken! Bill posted a couple good-looking recipes above. I would post mine, but I'm gonna see how it stacks up at the competition in Greenwood first. LOL.[p]My first introduction to hash came from a good friend of my dad's named Junior Prine, who was born and raised here in Charleston. My parents were both from Pennsylvania and had no clue about southern cooking. Being southern born (but not bred, unfortunately), I had to spend a lot of time at Mr. Prine's house to soak up all the knowledge I could. LOL. Anyway, Junior used to cook a whole hog in a concrete pit every Thanksgiving and New Year's eve. These events were some of the most memorable in my life because, somehow, I was always given the task of "taking care of the hog" sometime after midnight. This usually happened when all the adult men were very much "in their cups". It was a big deal for a kid not yet in his teens. LOL.[p]Anyway, the hash was always made the morning of the pig pickin' and every part of the hog that wasn't on the cooker went into the pot with all the seasonings and other ingredients. This included the whole head, the tail, the feet and all the organ meat. Yeah, there were a lot of folks who couldn't stomach the stuff if they saw it being made, but the taste was unbelievable good after 5 or 6 hours of cooking. Nowadays, most hash is made with shoulder meat mixed with chicken and/or beef.[p]I may have to cook some up at EGGtoberfest for y'all![p]Best Regards,
    Jim

• JSlot
    Options
    Georgia hash. Pshaw!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I tried smokin hash once...but I couldn't get the corned beef lit.[p]TUS

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Wise One,[p]It's going to be another great weekend! I can't wait. The wife had planned a trip to the <strike>outlaws</strike> I mean inlaws and I was going to be home alone. This should be another great year!![p]Smokey[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]SC Hash is something you need to try. Last year was the first time I ever heard of and tried it. My mouth is watering, just thinking of it. [p]Wise One and YB are great people to cook with too. While I'm going on 6 years as a egg owner, spending time with these guys, I feel like a newbie all over again. Talk about experience, it seem to come out of their pours!
  • Wise One
    Options
    Smokey, here are the groups playing on Friday and Saturday.

[ul][li]Music at Blues and BBQ[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Options
    TheUnStump, you don't smoke it, you eat it! Sort of like brownies I ate in the late 60's.

• Wise One
    Options
    Humpty, this one should give more details:

[ul][li]Blues and BBQ[/ul]