Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Lump in All the Wrong Places

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, I couldn't resist the corny title. I live in Harrisburg, PA. I'm looking for either a place locally to buy lump, besides Lowes or Walmart, or someone in the area to split a pallet with. I was thinking of ordering Humphrey.

I like Royal Oak from Walmart, but they have been unreliable with stocking it. BGE is too pricy. Any thoguhts/suggestions? I'd order a whole pallet, but am limited on storage space.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    If there are IGA foodstores in your area they have a store brand called Best Choice.  it is made by RO.  Costs about $6.50 for 10lbs.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I just received my bag of Humphreys this past week. So far, so good. Huge pieces compared to the Mali's I've been using. Good stuff. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    I buy my lump from a farmer's co-op that also sells propane refills for gas grills. I get Fire King which is very dense like Wicked Good at $25 for 40lbs. It was only $18 a bag  last year until RO bought them out and the price jumped immediately.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I live in Lancaster and have been looking for a place to buy Humphrey's to try it out.  So far no luck.  Everyone that tries it seems to like it.  I'd probably be willing to buy part of a pallet depending on price.  I would be able to come up and pick it up.  Hopefully others in the area will also be willing to give it a try.  Keep me posted.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    My bag delivered was $37.99. $24.99 for the 40 lb bag and $13 to ship. Not sure what they charge to ship inside PA but $13 was reasonable to FL.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • paphman
    paphman Posts: 23
    Options
    Oddly enough, I tried to find someone in PA to split a skid of Wicked Good with me within the past year...no takers. Too bad! Williamsport is not too far from Harrisburg or Lancaster. I might try taking a visit to Humphries at some point but with an ample supply of what I consider the best, I am good for now. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I don't recall your making that offer but if I was around, I would have considered it. Williamsport is about a 250 mile round trip from Lancaster, but if the price was right, I'd probably have done it.  I usually buy a few bags at Fred's in Shillington for about $24 per 22 lb bag.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Bygdawg1996
    Options
    I am in Lancaster and am new to the world of Eggs.  I do have space and would consider assisting in splitting a skid of Wicked and/or Humphries if there would still be interest.  I have not yet gotten an Egg so if there are any suggestions, they would be welcome.  I am reading the forums here for more information also.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Check Sam's and Costco. I use the 100% mesquite lump form Sam's It's $15 for 40lbs and I love it. I did a cook at a buddies house with Costco last weekend and it was good too. $16 for 35lb and the stuff was all good quality lump. attached is the one from Sam's. haven't found one any better for the money and I have used them all. i think it's regional though so you may have to look around. Good luck

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @Cen-Tex I've been looking at Costco, by no luck in my area. Thanks for the heads up.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Cen-Tex I've been looking at Costco, by no luck in my area. Thanks for the heads up.
    Good luck. maybe they will bring a pallet in if you ask the store mgr. It was nice stuff...especially for the the $

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks like you can buy the one I use for $12 for 40lbs direct from the manufacturer! This is a sweet deal. They make 100% oak lump too. I'm going to buy from them from now on so I can get oak and mesquite. I buy it 200lbs at a time now anyway.

Try this one. I can't imagine a better price for 100% lump.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks like you can buy the one I use for $12 for 40lbs direct from the manufacturer! This is a sweet deal. They make 100% oak lump too. I'm going to buy from them from now on so I can get oak and mesquite. I buy it 200lbs at a time now anyway.

Ha! The freight is $19 so no bueno!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Ha! The freight is $19 so no bueno!

Here is their retailer map. maybe there is someone in your area:

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Closest is Pittsburgh. Wrong side of PA
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Closest is Pittsburgh. Wrong side of PA
    Dang. I tried for you!