Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2012 Salado Eggfest Vietnamese Beef Ribs

Options
egger ave
egger ave Posts: 721
edited March 2012 in Beef
Vietnamese Beef Ribs

These beef ribs were a big hit in Salado this year. They cook fast and make great appetizers or a light main course.

The Ribs

This recipe uses crosscut or flanken beef ribs. The ribs are cut on a band saw across the ribs to reveal the rib cross section. Buy them sliced 1/4" thick The thin cut allows the marinade to completely penetrate the meat I have found the best ribs in Asian and Hispanic grocery stores. Asian markets are a great place to find the thick soy sauce, oyster sauce ( BTW Oyster Sauce does not contain any oysters) and fish sauce. I use Golden Boy brand fish sauce made in Thailand. The fish sauce does contain anchovies. The subtle anchovy flavor works great with grilled meat. You can also find pork ribs cut the same way. 

Marinade

This marinade recipe will marinate about 3 lbs of bone in ribs.

2 tbs minced garlic

1.5 tbs sugar
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs sesame oil or 1tbs sesame oil with chili oil
1 ts thick soy sauce

Prepare marinade by combining garlic, sugar,oyster sauce, fish sauce, thick soy sauce and sesame oil. The sesame oil with chili oil will put put some fire in the ribs. Put the ribs in 1 gallon zip lock bag(s) and pour enough marinade in the bag to completely cover the ribs. Refrigerate at least one hour, I do mine overnight.

The Cook

The ribs can go from the bag to a hot grill. Cook until you see a slight char on the meat and turn. The ribs only take about 5 minutes to cook.

Serving Suggestion

Serve with Peanut Sauce, Chili Sauce and Cucumber Relish.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Yep. I loved them. Thanks for sharing. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Options
    Yep..definitely going in my recipe book! They were delicious! Thanks! 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I didn't see them at the Fest, but I love all of the marinate ingredients, so I will try them.  Thanks!  

I'll have to go to Ranch 99 for some thick soy sauce.  Hadn't heard of that. I have regular soy sauce, low sodium soy sauce, sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis), black soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and light soy sauce.  I need to dedicate a whole pantry to soy sauces.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I didn't see them at the Fest, but I love all of the marinate ingredients, so I will try them.  Thanks!  

I'll have to go to Ranch 99 for some thick soy sauce.  Hadn't heard of that. I have regular soy sauce, low sodium soy sauce, sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis), black soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and light soy sauce.  I need to dedicate a whole pantry to soy sauces.
    I have about 6 different soy sauces, they all taste a bit different. 3 different fish sauces and a couple of oyster sauces.  Don't get me started on chili sauces.
    Sriracha is my favorite though.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2012
    Options
    egger ave you and VI will be able to go on forever :!! :)] Oh Gary you can call in Richard in Fl and WOW.
    Just playing guys. I only have one soy sauce and it has been in the fridge for 6 years now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.