Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Chuck Re: sundays brisket

Options
jerseymatt
jerseymatt Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
P1010030.jpg
<p />You know i did forget to post this one. Battery died while the beast sat in the cooler for a couple of hrs b4 serving....wish I could have showed you the sliced product...it was wet!

Comments

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    jerseyMatt,
    Can anyone tell ... is that a left or right handed brikset?

• jerseymatt
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    are you putting me on?

• DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Looks like a lefty to me

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    jerseymatt,
    Is the fat side up or down in that picture ... I don't think I'm putting you on. I'm trying to learn. BBQ forum always talk about the left side being more tender or was it the right? It has something to do with the point, grain and the fat side. [p]Then again this thing could be a left handed smoke shifter type of question.[p]Dunno ... looking for answer myself. I'm hoping that Dr. BBQ or someone like that chimes in.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]I'm pretty certain that there are left and right handed briskets, its the chest muscle and there are two of them per cow to the best of my knowledge. The tenderness thing comes in based on the BELIEF that cows usually use one leg or the other to get up off the ground. In other words, cows are either right or left hooved. The one they typically use, and its supposedly standard or common for cows to be one or the other, is typically the more tough cut of brisket as it gets used more than the other one.[p]Now, that being said, I have no idea whether its true or not, or where I heard it. But, thats my two pennies on the subject.[p]Troy
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    sprinter,
    Everything you said is what I have read and heard.
    So that being say ... are cows typically right of left sided? I think it was right and as a BBQ'r we are looking for a left brisket.[p]Therefore, if the fat is on the top side of the brisket in the picture ... then that appears to be a right brisket.[p]
    Did you see your picture in those carmel pics from the roving photographer?[p]Doug

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Yeah, I was surprised to see so many of me actually. Did you see her taking pictures? I didn't see her at all but apparently she saw me, at least 3 times anyway. I need to be careful, my wife was with me at that competition and she's going to think that the photographer and I had something going. Pretty cool photos though. Its amazing what staying up all night tending a hot greasy fire and not showering will do to your appearance. I also really need to wash that hat I was wearing. Oh well, maybe sometime.[p]That brisket thing is an old wives tale I think. Have yet to see someone who says that it actually makes a DIFFERENCE, or at least convince me if they actually THINK that it makes a difference.[p]Troy
  • jerseymatt
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Well mark me down in the i don't know category also. the picture is fat side up. Lets keep on learning

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Hard to tell from that photo, but here is the skinny on left briskets.....Steers (don't bother trying to prove this by watching cows laying around, all we get from them is milk & dogfood) tend to lay on their left side more often so they use their right leg more when they get up. This means that they flex the right brisket muscle more, so it may develop to be a little tougher. (If you figure that after 3 months in a finishing lot, a steer is 1200#+ hoof weight, this may be a factor).[p]For selecting a lefty: With the fat side down, the point will curve to the right.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    jerseyMatt,[p]Looks good!!! I forget but did you get your egg at Stoveworks? Either way this Sunday is a dem/eggfest/customer appreciation day at Stoveworks. It should be a good time.[p]Chuck

• jerseymatt
    Options
    Chuck,
    Yes I did...and i live right around the corner (deerbrook) from Ed's new house. I plan on being there w/ the family...hope to meet you there. By the way I saw something about a contest...how does that work? I am acutally going to see Ed today - need lump.