Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee Rubbed Pulled Pork

Options
KingRover
KingRover Posts: 115
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to try something different (and my wife wanted to get rid of some coffee) so she came up with a coffee rub with coffee, turbinado, garlic, paprika, black and white pepper, crushed red pepper and thyme. Also threw in a few dashes of Dizzy Dust. We try to limit our salt intake so that was it.
At 12 am, I loaded the Egg with hickory chunks and Royal Oak up about half way to the fire ring. As I've done since I got the High-Que fire grate, I used three sheets of newspaper jammed through the lower vent to light it. Stabilized (I thought) at just under 250* and put the 7.5 butt on at 1 am. Checked on the egg periodically through the night. At one point, it went to down to 200*. I overcorrected - 1.5 hours later I caught it at 400*. Whoops. After that, got it at 275* and managed to hold it there without much effort. I finally pulled it at 205* - 17 hours in! We had frozen it, and I'm not sure it was complete thawed out.
After foiling the butt, got the Egg got up to 400* for asparagus that my wife complemented with some browned butter-soy sauce-balsamic vinegar reduction. Did it indirect on a sheet pan for 12 minutes (didn't feel like taking the plate setter out). Picked up a little too much smoke for me, but was great with the sauce. Served it all up with some homemade honey mustard cole slaw.
We loved the coffee rub. It created a thick, crunchy bark with a nice deep flavor. Didn't taste like coffee. The pork was flavorful and moist enough not to need any sauce. My only problem - it cooled down quickly after pulling it, so it ended up just being warm at plating. Since my wife had a few margaritas throughout the process, I managed to convince her that it was normal to take pics. Hope you like them!imageimageimageimageimage

Comments