Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting my new egg on fire

magu
magu Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in Root
Ok, newbie here.......do you leave the lid open or just the top black vent wide open while preheating the egg? Also what do all of you use for lighting your lump charcoal? I am wondering what types of lighters work the best. thanks

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have an XL and I open the bottom vent wide open, start the center of my charcoal with a Looft lighter for 1 and a half minutes, close the lid, and leave the daisy wheel off for any cooks at 400 degrees or higher.  At 9 minutes I close the bottom vent to about 1 inch and let it go to about 50 degrees under my target temp.  I then open or close the bottom vent about an eighth of an inch at a time to get to my desired temp.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    I've tried wax starters and an electric starter, but have landed on this tip I got from Village Idiot on this website: VI posted, "I like to use their (WalMart's) 91% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to light the fire.  Burns clean, without odor, and the byproduct is carbon dioxide."  I roll up a paper towel and soak in the alcohol.  This starts a very evenly distributed fire instead of lighting in one or 2 spots as is the case with the electric starter.  Using more wax starters would work, too, if you used several but the rubbing alcohol is cheaper.
    I leave lid open for 7-10 minutes, then close lid until egg heats up to within 100* of where I want to end up.  If I want a real hot fire, I leave the black vent off and if I want more control, I put it on.
    Good luck with the new Egg.  You're already off to a good start since you're on this site.  I've learned a lot here.  
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have also used one square of the BGE firestarters in the center of the lump pile and that worked just as well.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Low and slow cooks I use the electric lighter right in the center. Get a nice little pile of coals hot, bottom vent wide open, DFMT on and opened up. When it hits 200 I close the DFMT and open the petals, close the bottom down to about a half inch and that usually gives about 250-275 dome.

Hot cooks, Weed burner. About a 20 second blast and the coals are going, leave the bottom wide open and close the lid with the top off. Start closing down the bottom to an inch or less once you're within target temp range.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited March 2012
    I've gotten into using Vegetable oil soaked (ok, wet, not soaked) Paper towels. 
    I have a "mock" Turbo grate instead of the stock cast iron one, and I put the paper towels in the bottom through the ash door, turning the egg into a chimney starter. 

Not as sexy as a looft lighter, but cheaper. 

OK, I leave the bottom, and top wide open until the lump starts to catch, and spread, and the bad smoke it gone. At that point I close the top, no cast iron top yet, until it gets close to the temp I want (~50 degrees I'm a newbie), then I start closing things up, and getting it to stabilize
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no need to truly soak those paper napkins.  lights faster and is even cheaper if the are merely lightly drizzled with it.  shouldn't drip when you twist them. 

and then build a little teepee of lump over it.

not kidding when i say that from the point when i decide to light the egg, and when i'm walking away from the egg, is less than with any other method i have tried, and i have a weedburner.

weedburner is maybe more fun, but this method is fast.  and you will likely always have the materials on hand. i remembered this from a post on the other forum when i forgot my wax starters while camping.  i don't recall who it was that posted it there first, even though this is a time-tested trick anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    (how do we edit a post now?  ...and when are they gonna whip this place into shape and stop screwing with the interface?  ...and where have i heard that complaint before?)
  • tazcrash
    @stike: Click the little gear, and you should be ble to update.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Will have to try that Stike, thanks.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    magu, there really is no best way to light the egg.  Whatever makes you happy will work best for you.  I've tried them all and I use a MAPP torch because for me it is most convenient.  Starter cubes work well, the napkin trick works well, the electric lighter works well, and so on.  Try a few and settle in on whatever you like best.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    @stike: Click the little gear, and you should be ble to update.

It says "Edit (1 hour)" so now edits are time-limited? 
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    edited March 2012
    i don't see a little gear anymore, either. 
    edited: (ok, now i do.  it wasn't there this morning, and as whiz says, i guess it's limited to an hour.  )
  • tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    It sure is since I can't edit my post in here anymore.
    Checked another, and it says 26 minutes

*Edit: But I can edit this one

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 455
    To edit you should see what looks like a gear or sprocket on the right-hand-side. Click it and it'll give you a drop down menu with the options of edit and delete.

Please let me know if you don't see it.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited March 2012
    Eggzilla,  it looks like after 1 hour, it disappears and you no longer have the ability to edit your post.  I've seen this on other forums, and I've assumed it is to prevent problem posters from trying to change history. 

Edit: this post has a gear and I can edit it.  In an hour, it won't and I can't.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited March 2012
    And now there is a link called "Root" at the bottom of the posting box.  Click on it and you are taken to the listing of latest posts with a message "Root of category tree. Users should never see this."

Edit: It is not actually a list of latest posts.  Not sure what it is, but it resembles the list of latest posts, but many of the posts are not new and haven't been updated in a while.

The Naked Whiz
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    That takes you to all threads posted in the root category. It's there because that's where this post was filed by op. clicking "home" next to root takes you to all threads.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    And now I notice if you go and start a thread, root is no longer a category to file under and there seems to be a bunch more categories...
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I use a chimney which gives you equal lit lump for even cooking!

It only takes about 10 minutes and she's ready to go!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Stike,
    I just tried your method and it worked great. I have used starter cubes and have been using an electric starter for a while. The paper towel thing definitely worked better than both of those and doesn't cost anything. Thanks for the tip.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    +1. Forgot I was out of starter cubes until I got home from grocery store. So, I tried paper towels and oil. Worked like a charm. And fast.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    30 seconds with a mapp torch lights it every time for me.
  • magu
    magu Posts: 2
    We have been using a torch. I had wondered if it might get too hot for the clay in the egg