Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fought with a brisket this weekend (PICS)

Options
WoodsDog
WoodsDog Posts: 48
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I haven't done a brisket on my Egg yet, so this weekend for the NCAA tourney, decided to give it a go.  

I bought a 14 pound packer at Walmart a few months back, and froze it. It thawed over the last few days.  I trimmed it up, probably took 1-2 pounds of fat off of it.  Put rub on it.

I started the egg Friday night, got it up to dome temp of about 250, and put the brisket in.  I was hoping to eat Saturday night at 6 pm or so.  Temperature control wasn't a problem, held the right temp the whole time.  I was measuring the flat's temp the whole time.

Now, this brisket had what I think about 3 different plateaus.  I had one at 165, expected.  But then it rose to 180 at about noon on Saturday.  Thing is, that brisket was tough at 180.  Then then temp fell to about 174 for about 3 hours.  Finally started to rise, and hit 180 at about 4:30 or so Saturday  afternoon.  And then it stuck there.  Another 2 hours.  We had family in town, and I just let it go.  We went out to dinner at about 7:30 or so.  When I got back at 9pm, the temp was at 214.  I took it off, wrapped it in foil, and let it sit on the counter for a while then stuck it in the fridge.

Sunday, i decided to make burnt ends out of the point.  Pulled it out of the fridge, cut up the point, seasoned it, and threw it back on the egg.  Went a couple, then put some homemade BBQ sauce on them.   These turned out wonderful.

As for the flat, I sliced it up, and put it in the over for about an hour before dinner time, just to reheat it.  It was very tender, just too dry.   A lot of BBQ sauce helped. 

A side note, on Sunday when I went out to restart  the egg, I was shocked at how much charcoal was left.  On Friday night, I had filled it to the top of the fire ring.  I had been burning 24 hours plus the day before, and when I looked, the charcoal was just below the top of the fire box.  Amazing.

It was worth it, it was good, it's just nerve racking when it's your first brisket on the Egg.  All kinds of ups and downs, and you start to wonder if the Egg has a leak in it somewhere and if your thermometers aren't really working.

If I had it to do over, I'd wrap it in foil on Saturday at noon.

If you are still with me, heres my burnt ends: 

Comments