Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

riblets

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,749
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2005195627.jpg
<p />before cutting the individual pork chops, the butcher near me cuts off a short section of ribs from the roast. nice tasty treats
2005200647.jpg
2005000926.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]So these cuts were made from a whole Pork loin?[p] Dave[p]

• fishlessman
    Options
    Dave,
    he sometimes sells the loin with the ribs attached like a prime rib would be. the bone sticks up higher than the roast, so he cut it down as these short little ribs. its the first ive seen of the short cut ribs, he says they sell fast.

fukahwee maine

• Unknown
    Options
    3266.gif
    <p />fishlessman, Both of the grocery stores in my town still cut their own meat. They trim the bone in loins as you described, that is they trim across the back bone portion of the bone in loin to make the roast more uniform before cutting it into chops. They then package the rib cuttings and label them as riblets. They cost me a whopping 59¢ a pound! They cook up in any where from an hour to two hours and make for some mighty fine eating! [p]Lager,[p]Juggy
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    RibTrimmings.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,[p]Very nice! We love riblets here too... sometimes better than spares... and Raging River is the favorite on ribs here as well.[p]These were perfectly done until I turned my back for a minute and charred the sauce..... they ate good anyway. :~)[p]Keep posting those photos, dude...[p]John

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You need to ship me some of those 59¢/lb. things, Juggy!!![p]Jim
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    one of the best things about these as they are not from the solution added ribs that are so common around here. most of the stores are repackaging the hormel brand so that you dont know what your getting. these where kept in the same display as the roasts that they were cut from by a butcher thatts really into selling good pork

fukahwee maine

• Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman, Just more living proof that doing business with a REAL butcher has its own rewards. You might wind up paying a little more than you would at Sam's Club or Costco, but I think in the long run you are still better off doing business with someone you know and trust.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yo Jim, That could probably be arranged. I guess these could be frozen and shipped via the USPS or Fed-Ex or UPS. BTW, I heard UPS and Fed X have decided to merge. The new name of the company will be Fed-Up..........[p]By any chance will you be competing in the Mid-West this year?[p]Lager,[p]Juggy