Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pocket thermometer

Options
eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
These are much cheaper than the thermapen. Wondering if anyone has one of these and if they are any good?

Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options

Temp Read takes 5-6 Seconds with that one vs. Instant with my ThermaPen.  It's cheaper because it's not an Instant Read.

• smoke_monster
    smoke_monster Posts: 42
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I bought one just to check it out.  I don't have a thermopen, so I can't compare it to that, but it is much faster than any of my other digital thermometers.  Definitely not instant (1-2 seconds) but its fast and often in the 5-6 second range.

The one thing that I liked about it when I did research was the ability to adjust it - and I just did a calibration this weekend and it was reading 1 degree off.  Its reading spot on right now - I'm loving it because I don't have to remember the variance when I cook, like I have to do with my maverick (2 degrees hot) or my other digital thermometer (5 degrees hot).

I highly recommend this with the caveat that I've only had this for a few days.  Amazon has a good number of reviews on this unit.

• eggo
    Options

Temp Read takes 5-6 Seconds with that one vs. Instant with my ThermaPen.  It's cheaper because it's not an Instant Read.

At my age, 5 - 6 seconds is instant.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    when your checking meat temps over a searing hot grill 6 seconds is a long time. doesnt look like something i would carry in my pocket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggo
    Options
    Is it necessary to hold on to it? My wife uses her kitchen thermo by sticking a roast (or any meat) and leave it there several seconds then remove. Now, if you need to hold on, quicker is better.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Is it necessary to hold on to it? My wife uses her kitchen thermo by sticking a roast (or any meat) and leave it there several seconds then remove. Now, if you need to hold on, quicker is better.
    if your buying it for roasts you can buy one for 5 to 10 bucks you just leave in there, or buy a remote for more that you can read from outside a closed egg. cook chicken wings at 350/400, or pork chops, a steak, you want it fast. you dont need  therm for low and slow cooking unless your trying to figure when it will be ready in several hours
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggo
    Options
    $19 for the 5 - 6 second one vs $86 for the thermapen instant read. Just trying to get a comparison..
    Eggo in N. MS
  • 2spicy
    2spicy Posts: 18
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hard to say personally as I have never tried the less expensive one but a quick phone call to the company and they should be able to answer if there's a big difference in quality.

I have had very good results with my thermapen and I did get the fastest color they make which is 'Purple', 1.5 to 2 seconds!!!

• 2spicy
    Options
    Purple it is, apparently no debate!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    Blue.  Zero to cooked in the tastiest of seconds.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• 2spicy
    Options
    Cool and I respect your opinion but purple is on the upper end of the color spectrum and a slight bit faster than anything else out there, ' quote from star trek' Na na Na na Na, whatever!!!
  • gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    Options
    On Europe, We pay 1/2-2/3 the price for a thermopen (Mfg in UK), but we pay 2 times the price for the BGE, so I can tell you: get the thermonpen, it is worth it !
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • eggo
    Options
    I got it, I got it. I'm going with the thermapen.   Thanks for the advice.
    Eggo in N. MS