Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Didn't Make It To Salado, So What To Do Now

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited March 2012 in Pork

I left Thursday afternoon from Minnesota on my bike. I made it to Wichita Thursday night, left Friday morning and the overcast want to drizzle that went to rain by the time I was on Oklahoma. As much as I wanted to meet everyone, I didn't care to spend the next day riding in the rain so I came back home. Now Saturday morning, what can I do in the spirit of Salado, correct, pork butt. I went to a new butcher shop because everything I have is frozen and he had a 12.5 lb fresh butt. I will post more as it is finished.imageimageimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    That is a good looking hunk of pork.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bigguy136

Thanks. It kind of fills a large BGE. I asked the butcher if I could get the shoulder and ham as one. He said we will but nobody has ever asked. I thought it would be a better blend of meat flavors like doing a whole pig.

And forgot, indirect, plate setter (legs up), drip pan with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice, apple and cherry smoke and 225° grate temp.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Not to mention a nice price too. I can't wait to have an Egg at
    home.
  • bigguy136
    I think they are going to be my new #1 place to go. They do all their own processing and I got this chunk of meat fresh, not frozen. The best price I could get at Sams club was $1.99 and I'm supporting a local store.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Thanks. It kind of fills a large BGE. I asked the butcher if I could get the shoulder and ham as one. He said we will but nobody has ever asked. I thought it would be a better blend of meat flavors like doing a whole pig.

And forgot, indirect, plate setter (legs up), drip pan with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice, apple and cherry smoke and 225° grate temp.

I have never done cherry smoke. Pretty good, huh? I always use apple chips for some reason.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bigguy136

As much as I want to take a peek, I hear this saying "if you're looking, you ain't cooking" so here is what I get to look at. This is 3.75 hours into my cook.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136

I have never done cherry smoke. Pretty good, huh? I always use apple chips for some reason.

I have about 30' of cherrywood (storm took down my tree) so most everything will get cherry when I do pork.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    edited March 2012

I finished my 12 lb shoulder. I thought the vents were plugging some and I used a wiggle stick but no luck. I've done other 20+ hour cooks but I learned that used lump has less BTUs than new lump. I left a half of a firebox of old lump and toped it off with new lump. My pit temps were all over the place as you can see below. I did get my cook in but I pulled it at 191° and not the 194° that I wanted to . This was way too close to not working.imageimageimageimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

• losttree
    losttree Posts: 23
    That is a beautiful butt.  Yardbird is my go to on chicken and I use it on butts sometimes too.  Can I ask what you did with the vinegar?
    Adam
  • bigguy136
    I did a mix of 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice (1/2 gal) and put that in my drip pan. I then added water as it evaporated.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    I did a mix of 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice (1/2 gal) and put that in my drip pan. I then added water as it evaporated.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136

Big Lake, Minnesota