Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook...I tremble!

eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Okay..so I'm a bit dramatic with the subject line there...but I'm about to do my first cook. It's going to be hamburgers. Funny thing is....after all the time I've spent here and at other sites reading up on the BGE....I'm worried about cooking a freaking hamburger! LOL

So on the BGE site I watched the tutorials again on lighting. Gonna use a BGE starter cube and fill the fire box to the top. I expect to cook at about 450-500 degrees...about 6 minutes a side as per the tutorial. Well..and I have a brand new Thermapen...so I guess I can use that to make sure I pull them at the right temp. Cook to temp not time...right? Thing is my mind is pretty much shot from studying for a big work related test this week. So I'm dumping information faster than I can gain it. Hence the worry over a hamburger. I will have to look up a good temp chart for the various meats. Also, plan on using some soaked chips...either oak or mesquite. Planning on letting the egg stabilize at temp for about 10 to 15 minutes after it reaches said temperature. I also intend to add the wood chips in from the beginning...probably out from center a few inches to let them smoke more during the cook. Oh...and adding the cheese at about a minute out/few degrees before done. Okay...and why am I posting this? So someone can critique me before I start...or maybe pat me on the back! LOL

Oh...and btw...I'm here to say offically...wow I'm glad I had help offloading the egg from vehicle to nest. We had to carry it about 20 feet and up a few stairs. I think it's heavier than advertised! So...I'm off to pour some lump and get buns...I'll be back!
:D

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Make me proud, Eggnigted. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chris88
    Chris88 Posts: 41
    You will do fine. It's my first cook to and it is a learning curve. I am about to put some salmon on a plank then do some steaks. One thing I can say there is a lot of good people in here and some very good infomation. 
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908

@ Eggnited

You will do just fine grasshopper.

Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Don't crispy fry your body hair like I did yesterday cooking burgers! Flashback/Backdraft is definitely possible when doing burgers, esp with fresh lump.

Tom
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited March 2012
    You will do great. And if you make a mistake, so what? You'll learn from it and do better next time. Welcome to the club!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Check out Fred the smoking guitar player on YouTube he has a great instructional on burgers.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• eggnited
    Okay then...I'm off in more ways than one. I'll try to get a pic or two! Thanks!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    eggnited that's what I cooked on the Mini for lunch. Don't overthink them! You will do fine. So how did it go??????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Congrats eggnited and welcome! I have had my medium for about 2 months or so now and the learning curve seems daunting but it gets so easy SO FAST!! I have done burgers multiple times, smoked 2 pork butts, grilled chicken breasts, 2 spatchs and 2 pizzas so far! ( also countless hot dogs for my daughter. she loves em! how does this Egg make a hot dog better??? ) Anyway you will do fine and like others have said don't over think it. Just have fun and drink a cold one! Enjoy. Remember...No Pics IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!! Have fun!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • eggnited
    Okay guys...first cook went EGGCELLENT! My wife said they were the best burgers I've cooked yet. I used hickory chips to impart flavor and seasoned the burgers with Saltgrass 7 seasoning. I hope the photos I took upload properly. Oh...and things went nicely..although I managed to run my temps up and down slightly before settling at just at and under 500 degrees. I can tell temperature management is the big thing to focus on for each cook. So..without further adeu. Oh...and thank you guys...you're help has been great!

• eggnited
    PS...watched the Freds Music Video before hand...then used the Thermapen to pull them at 147 degrees. The slightest of pink. Man...I didn't want to stop eating! LOL Thanks again guys...I'm so hooked on this!
  • It's worse than crack
    LET'S EAT
  • Mickey
    Soon your wife will be on you to put down the camera so we can eat :-t
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Nice lookin burgs man!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • JerkChicken
    Nice lookin burgs man!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • JerkChicken
    Nice lookin burgs man!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    It looks like his wife took one of the pics so maybe it will become a team eggditcion.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    It looks like his wife took one of the pics so maybe it will become a team eggditcion.
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy