Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much are you paying for BGE lump?

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I usually buy Royal Oak at Wal-Mart, but they are currently out of stock. No other lump available locally except BGE lump from my dealer. He is charging $30 after tax for a 22 lb bag. Is he out of his mind, or is the going rate for BGE brand lump? Seems awfully steep to me. I expect to pay a little more for the name, but come on!
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    $25 bag at my local dealer.  They sometimes have $5 off a $25 purchase and I would pick up a bag since RO isn't in stock locally.  Now I have a 3 pack of wicked good to use.  $22 delivered so its about the same price and nicer charcoal based upon results so far.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • cortguitarman
    I guess he isn't.too far off the mark.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    $22 to $24 for a 20 pound bag of BGE charcoal. That includes tax. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40

Considering BGE Lump = Royal Oak, I buy Royal Oak at Walmart (about the only thing I go to Walmart for :) ).

It runs about $6.00 a bag.

• cortguitarman
    Same here but Walmart is out of stock.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ryan0526
    Ryan0526 Posts: 5
    RO is stocked at Canadian Tire for those of us in Canada and is $14 for 20 lbs.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Here in MN, RO at Menards this winter was $4.50/ 8.8 lb bag ($.51/ lb) and now it's up to $7.50/ 8.8 lb bag ($.85/ lb)

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    It is $33 including tax for BGE lump at my local shop. (!)

Royal Oak was about $14 for the same amount, sometimes less, at Restaurant Depot in Seattle.

Sadly, Restaurant Depot is out of RO. I talked to the manager, and he said that RO is out of stock all over the West Coast. He's going to talk to the store's buyer, after which I will hopefully get the skinny on the RO shortage. I'll also be writing to RO, someone there made the mistake of being helpful when I was looking for it last year and I kept her email address. :)

I can get mesquite lump cheap enough, but darn it, I really prefer RO--and I will be a monkey's uncle if I pay the BGE shop prices to get it in a green bag.

If there is a RO-like fuel that delivers for a reasonable price, I am interested... I'd buy a dozen bags. There is NOTHING around here except Cowboy (ick) and a variety of decent mesquite fuels. 

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    'Found' RO 8.8 lb. bag for $6.57 at new Mal-Wart that just opened up nearby.
  • cortguitarman
    My Walmart is getting it in soon. The guy just couldn't give me a date. Local ace hardware doesn't have any lump either. Cowboy and BGE are the only 2 available.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Northern1
    Northern1 Posts: 19
    RO is now $6.88 in Walmart for 10 pounds ! BGE is $35.00 at the dealers. This pricing is in Edmonton Alberta Canada .
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    I believe I paid $27 after tax for 22 pound bag. I found Ozark Oak for $4.96 for a 10 pound bag! I couldn't pass up that deal.
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    The RO I saw at Wally just said real wood nothing about lump is this the stuff you guys are using or is there something better that my Wally didn't have never go there but stopped to check yesterday seemed like a lot of little pieces from what i could tell
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    $18 for 20 lb BGE!   >:D<

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• $17 for a 20 lbs bag of Cowboy
    $25 for a 22 lbs bag of Wicked Good

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I used to pay $11 bucks for a bag of Ozark Oak ( #10)in Lubbock, Now that im living in Abq i have been buying BGE and its well over $20 for 20#

on the other hand my dad who lives in Spfd Mo is paying around $4 a bag for Ozark Oak

Ozark Oak is by far my favorite lump i just wish i could find it here
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

We just placed an order for Wicked - 17 something a 20 lb bag.  Centex from the site here put it together.

Cookin in Texas
  • cortguitarman
    @meat73 The Royal Oak is in a red bag. You wouldn't ne able to see through it. The letters are in bright yellow.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    It's a great marketing ploy. Put the BGE logo on Royal Oak charcoal and charge $30 for 20 lbs. You can bey two $10 lb bags at Walmart for $13. Check out the Naked Whiz's lump charcoal web page.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • MuttaJ
    MuttaJ Posts: 9
    40 lb bag nature-glo for $24 at Charcoal Warehouse here in Memphis

Have gotten Royal Oak 18.8 lb bag at restaurant depot for less that $10 on sale in the past
    Large BGE
    Memphis transplant by way of New Orleans. Who Dat.
  • Jameson19
    edited March 2012
    Ok, so the lingering question I have while reading this thread is the comparison issue. Can someone who has used BGE charcoal compare the smell of the charcoal and the taste fo the food to these other brands of charcoal you are buying? Is the price worth the difference you pay for a cheaper brand, or worth the extra you pay for BGE? 

Disclaimer:
    (I'd like to reserve the question to only those that have USED different types of charcoal. Personally I have only used BGE charcoal because I do not like the mesquite only based fuel that my family members use.)
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    BGE brand is RO. 

I like the taste of it better than Wicked Good--more smoke flavor. 

I like either better than any mesquite product.

However, as much as I like BGE/RO I am not paying over $30 for a 20 lb bag of BGE, which is my only choice now that RO is in short supply in my area. 

YMMV. 

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I pay $12 for my natures own but I buy by the pallet! I got some 10lb royal oak today at wally for $6.75 a bag! I also get maple leaf lump for $15.99 a bag!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Rsal
    Rsal Posts: 6
    I used to pay $11 bucks for a bag of Ozark Oak ( #10)in Lubbock, Now that im living in Abq i have been buying BGE and its well over $20 for 20#

on the other hand my dad who lives in Spfd Mo is paying around $4 a bag for Ozark Oak

Ozark Oak is by far my favorite lump i just wish i could find it here
    I live in Springfield, MO as well. Do you know which store he picked up the Ozark Oak at?
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    $15/20lb bag of the BGE stuff, can get a 20lb bag of cowboy for 11.99
  • tmackie
    tmackie Posts: 67
    $25 / 20 lb bag at one local dealer and $27.99 at the other.

I started buying Humphrey online and pay $37 shipped to my door for 40 lbs. and it's great stuff! Low ash, big pieces. Every bit as good or better than BGE brand.
  • RickyB
    RickyB Posts: 1
    about $32/ 20lb of BGE in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Only other lump I have found is Cowboy at Home Depot, but only in 8 lb bags.  Can't bring myself to go into Walmart even thought they may have some.
  • Ok, so the lingering question I have while reading this thread is the comparison issue. Can someone who has used BGE charcoal compare the smell of the charcoal and the taste fo the food to these other brands of charcoal you are buying? Is the price worth the difference you pay for a cheaper brand, or worth the extra you pay for BGE? 

Disclaimer:
    (I'd like to reserve the question to only those that have USED different types of charcoal. Personally I have only used BGE charcoal because I do not like the mesquite only based fuel that my family members use.)
    @Jameson19. This should answer all your lump questions:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Jameson19
    Ok, so the lingering question I have while reading this thread is the comparison issue. Can someone who has used BGE charcoal compare the smell of the charcoal and the taste fo the food to these other brands of charcoal you are buying? Is the price worth the difference you pay for a cheaper brand, or worth the extra you pay for BGE? 

Disclaimer:
    @Jameson19. This should answer all your lump questions:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    I have read that. I was wanting opinions from all the users here....

Las Vegas, Nevada!