Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Safety Concern

Options
Langdale
Langdale Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in Using the Egg
I am a new egg owner. My first experience was to roast two chickens and did this at 450. This turned out well. I was probably overly ambitious for my first cooking and thought I could cool the egg  and put a butt on to cook. I closed the vents and dropped the heat to about 300. I left both the bottom vent and daisy wheel open to about 1/8". Since I had closed the vents to drop the temp, I checked to see if I still had fire in the coals before I put on the meat. I put the meat on and the temp dropped to 250. With the vents at the previously mentioned settings, the temp appeared to stabilize at 230. I checked this several times before bedtime and thought I was OK. This morning when I checked, the fire had gone out. The egg temp was still about 130 and the meat was 110. I restarted the fire and continued to cook. Since the fire went out, will the meat be safe to eat?

Comments

• Langdale
    Options

After searching on the internet, I have found the answer to my question. The unanimous consensus of opinion was to discard the meat and scratch this off as a learning experiance. It's cheaper buy another butt than to make a trip to the ER.

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    My wife has had numerous classes in food safety for her profession. Here's the scoop. Use the two hour rule. If any meat product has been left at room temperature for more than two hours, don't eat it.
    Here is what happens. If any meat product is left out in the temperature range of 42 degrees and 134 degrees Fahrenheit, airborne bacteria will grow on the food, and it will produce toxins. These toxins are what makes you sick. If the temperature is lower or higher, then you will be ok. It takes two hours for the bacteria to grow to harmful levels in this danger zone.
    I hope that this clears up your worries.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca