Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET732

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just ordered one of these, so I don't have to open the dome while smoking to monitor the meat temp.

For regular cooks can I just insert the probe in the thermometer opening in the dome and get the temp as I normally would from the BGE thermometer?

I love the idea of remotely monitoring the Egg temp.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options

It's just a wire and will do just fine closed between your felt seals. 

I'm using mine right now (Turbo Pork Butt) and sitting in my Office monitoring temps:  156f Pork, 282f Pit.

I just lay it in the PIT wherever I want to monitor, and stick the meat, and close the dome, the wires are not going to be an issue with the seals.  In fact it's raining hard tonight and I have the Sending Unit in a ziplock bag.  Doing just fine.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Would it pay to clip the temp probe to the meat probe? Then u know the temp the meat is getting.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    You want to keep a bit of distance between the meat and the probe to give a true reading at grid level.

Gerhard
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I drop my temp probe through the daisy wheel level with the egg thermometer. Seems to work great for me.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options
    I keep my PIT probe on the Grid so I know what the Temps are at the Grid Level.  Worked out great tonight on my Turbo Pork Butt.