Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New In-Laws Cook

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tonight's feast for my daughter's soon to be in-laws.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Options
    Very Nice
    LET'S EAT
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Did you set a place for me? That looks very good.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Sweet. You may never be invited to their place. Set the bar pretty high right there.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Nice choice of beer Belgium leffe.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    My daughter is the beer connoisseur.  She picked it out.  It's Saint Patrick's day, I was drinking Jameson.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    That veggie dish is beautiful (both before and after cooking). What is in it? Thanks.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Mixed purple and white heirloom potatoes, cut in half mixed with carrots and onions.  A ring of broccoli and sliced mushrooms around the edges with red and green sweet pepper slices, and zucchini on top.  A row of diced tomatoes down the middle with some shredded mozzarella on top.  I added a little chicken broth, and the mixed veggies were seasoned with sea salt, pepper, and garlic.

Covered and cooked on the grid over the plate setter at 350-400 for a little over an hour. This was on the XL with the lump reducing ring.

The veggies cooked nicely, and I expected the diced tomatoes to melt down into the mix, but what really happened is they added juice to the bottom, but the pieces stayed on top and cooked, and bonded with the cheese.  It was really good.  Next time I am doing fresh tomato slices on the whole top with a little cheese over them.

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    I copied that to my recipe file. Thanks.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options

Doc, when you cover your veggies like that do you still get that "grilled" taste? Does it impart any smoky taste? I've always done my veggies in a wire basket.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    They aren't smokey.  I suspect they wouldn't taste different done in the oven, I just wanted to do the full cook on my Eggs while company watched on the deck.