Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peameal Bacon for lunch

Options
gerhardk
gerhardk Posts: 942
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
We cooked a peameal bacon coated in mustard, brown sugar and maple syrup then basted with orange juice.  This was a recipe that we got from a vendor at St. Lawrence Market in Toronto.

Gerhard

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Looks great! What is a peameal bacon? Looks like a pork loin.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Looks great! What is a peameal bacon? Looks like a pork loin.
    My thoughts exactly but I thought maybe being a newbe, I had so much to learn and everyone else knew. It does look great.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I guess outside of Canada they call it Canadian Bacon, I think it is a cured pork loin rolled in corn meal.  It is often fried as slices but can also be roasted whole like we did, the caramelization of the brown sugar and maple syrup give it a unique flavour when roasted whole.

Gerhard
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44
    Options
    looks awesome Gerhard. any chance you can post the recipe? was actually just having a conversation with the in-laws if this was possible - curious if the cornmeal would burn.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cornmeal won't burn unless you crank the egg past 450 or so or expose to direct heat.
    These would make an incredible breakfast sandwich. I think apple and/or hickory would match very well with this roast. A worthwhile suggestion is to make your slices and toss them back on the egg for some quick grill marks and they will taste even better. Happy July 4th and holiday weekend friends!