Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salt and pepper - do ya?

Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a lot of different meats over the weekend and outside of TRexing the beef tenderloin, not once did I reach for the salt and pepper. I always just assume the rub has it covered. So, the question is: when you prepare your meat (mustard, rubs, olive oil, etc.), do you also salt and/or pepper?[p]Just wondering if I am missing something. Thanks Tom

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Sandbagger,[p]It all depends on what rub I'm using - taste the rub, if it's salty enough and got enough kick then you may not need to add salt and pepper b/c they're already in there in the right amounts. [p]For example, I do not use salt and pepper if I use any of the Dizzy Pig rubs - they're already balanced just right.[p]I usually use salt and pepper on beef or on pork chops if I'm doing them the simple way, otherwise the rubs usually have it covered.[p]Just my 2 cents,[p]TRex
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Sandbagger, about the only time I use s&p is when I'm T-Rex'ing a steak. I'm sort-of a purist and don't like my steaks with rubs on them. I'll also use Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt mixture on chicken sometimes. [p]Other than that, I just use the salt mixtures in any rubs I make.

• Sandbagger,
    TRex is right. Taste the rub you might be using. If it is salty, don't add any. For me, I have to load on the black pepper. Personally, when I do a steak, only salt, pepper,garlic powder and lots of cayenne pepper. I like a blackened steak. When you get froggy, try catfish on the Egg with lots of cayenne pepper. Great taste. [p]Jerry

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    thanks for the insight. Tom

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Sandbagger,[p]I often use salt on red meats because of it's natural tenderizing attributes, If you're trying to cut back on salt the best meat tenderizer is Papaya.[p]Papaya is a prime source of papain enzyme (meat tenderizer), so green fruit chunks and leaves can be wrapped around meat or fowl before cooking to enhance tenderness and flavor.[p]I cut the Papaya up, put it in the food processor and chop it up to mush, then use it like a rub. don't leave it on the meat to long tho, very powerful and can eat the meat up. I'd say about a hour before cooking.[p]