Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck roast recipe

Options
Shary
Shary Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to those who responded to my dumb-newbie questions of a few days ago. Now I have another question. I have a freezer full of to-die-for beef, privately raised and aged the old-fashioned way, and I am looking for a good recipe for chuck roast. Now I know this isn't the most tender cut of beef, and I am wondering, is it necessary to use tenderizer? I would rather not mess with that stuff, but I do want a juicy, tender result. Ideas, anyone? Lengthy cooking time isn't a problem, but at this stage of my egging career I would prefer something that isn't too complex. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Shary,
    I make pulled beef with a rump roast on Sunday and it was outstanding! It does tend to dry out a little more then pork so I would suggest some sauce after pulling.[p]I just sprinkled mine with some Dizzy Pig Cowlick and turbinado sugar and cooked indirect with cherry chunks at 250. When the internal was 165, I foiled it and took it to 200F. Rest in a cooler for about 1 hour and pull. Eat like a pork sandwich on a cheap white bun.[p]Keep it simple and smoked ... that is my stance.
    Doug

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Shary,
    Sorry you have all that beef getting burned in the freezer. If you need to make some space, I'll take some of it off your hands.[p]I've cooked chuck low and slow for pulled beef. Wasn't sure on the times so I cooked it a bit like brisket. It was good, but a bit dry. I think I pulled it at about 190 so a little less time might work better. Also, next time I do it I might cook it for a few hours low temp and then foil it with some liquid or maybe just some sliced tomatoes, onions and a pepper. Cowlick works good for rub or make your own up.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Shary,
    i did this one earlier this year, its important to foil it at about 175 degrees internal

[ul][li]pulled beef[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    Shary,[p]I just did a batch of Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ for memorial day, and it is very good. Because of the later steps of cooking in the dutch oven, it does not get dry like others have reported for normal pulled beef.[p]
    [ul][li]Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ[/ul]