Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Veggie Problems

scaryangelscaryangel Posts: 134
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok so i admit i am a newbie. So far most everything i have cooked on my LBGE has turned out good.. However i have tried grilling squash twice and it turns out bitter. The first time i did not let my lump burn long enough. Tonight a had a lot of lump left from a previous cook and i added a small amount of lump to it. I fired up the grill and let it burn for 45 min. I left the lid up for about 20 minutes then i closed the lid adjusted the bottom vent to about 1/2 inch. Took the daisy off. Stabilized the temp to 400 degrees. I cooked the squash and grilled chicken breasts. The squash was bitter and the chicken was good. Please let me know what i am doing wrong.
·

Comments

• WhalerWhaler Posts: 100
    I also had a very bitter taste when grilling squash with EVOO. Change to Canola oil..Problem solved.
    Pensacola,FL
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,406
    I suspect you cooked about 50F too hot. Winter squash has lots of sugar. Sugar burns and turns bitter at 350F. Squash doesn't need to be roasted.
    ·
  • scaryangelscaryangel Posts: 134
    I did use EVOO I will try Canola oil next time. I was using summer squash and zuchinni squash.
    ·