This recipe does NOT qualify as healthy but it does include a few organic ingredients. Sometimes you just can’t help yourself and you must eat comfort food.
4-6 slices bacon
5 Medium white Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
4 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts (organic) – diced and seasoned with poultry seasoning.
3 Cups – Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Tsp. Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Poultry Seasoning (to taste)
Coarse Sea Salt and Fresh ground Black Peppercorns (to taste)
1 14-15 Oz. Can, Whole kernel corn, drained
3 Cups, Low Fat Half-and-Half
1 ½ Cups Bisquick
1 Cup Organic 2% Milk
1. Place bacon in microwave and cook in advance and save grease). Crumble Bacon and set aside.
2. Put the bacon grease in the Dutch oven (I used a 7 Qt. Emile Henry Flame Top) and bring Egg up to temperature.
3. Add the diced potatoes, onion and chicken to the bacon grease and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently (it will cook slower in a Dutch oven due to smaller pan area). Note: If using a Dutch oven add a little EVOO to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan during simmering.
4. Add the chicken broth, corn, more PP’s poultry seasoning, sea salt and fresh pepper.
5. Pour in half-and-half and bring to a boil; add crumbled bacon.
6. Biscuits: In a medium bowl, combine the Bisquick with milk and mix well (dough should be thick enough to ‘drop’).
7. Drop tablespoon sizes of dough into boiling mixture; reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes uncovered. Cover the pan and simmer another10 minutes. Be careful NOT to stir while simmering, or dumplings will fall apart.