Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking With Herbs

Stoater
Stoater Posts: 292
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,

We like to grow fresh herbs in our garden and I was wondering has any one thrown any herbs on the coals to create a herby smoky flavour, I am guessing it would only work with herbs that have a woodier stem such as oregano, rosemary, thyme etc, or maybe they are too delicate and burn too quickly, If you have had any success I would love to hear about it.

Cheers.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited March 2012
    I think you should experiment without food, I have had rosemary stalks fall in the fire and that definitely did not create good smoke.

Gerhard

P.S.  We often cook meat with herbs on the meat but that is different from having them in the charcoal.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I know of some who have taken some fresh herbs and soaked them in water and then placed them in a smoker in a foil pouch either loosly wrapped or with holes punched in the foil.  They say it perfumes the wood smoke so to speak.  But I would think that you wouldn't want them to burn.  That would have to be one more thing to keep an eye on during the cook.  I personally have never tried it because I am content using herbs either in marinades or rubs.  It's worth a try I guess if you like to experiment.

Living Large and XL

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Thanks for the advice guys!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ive used rosemary with lamb before and didnt have any ill effect, i wouldnt use it with a lighter type meat. would see no problem with thyme either. onions are good in the coals so cant see a problem throwing egyptian onion in, ive put chives on a hot grill to cook fish on, they were good. im growing lemon grass this year and will be trying that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    When is fiddlehead season?
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    with this winter i bet in 3 or 4 weeks the fiddleheads will pop, normally beginning may im pickling some for a june trip
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it