Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Sauce??

Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
The only brand I have seen is Thai kitchens, premium fish sauce, extra virgin. Anyone have any experience with it. Haven't seen three crabs.
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• pratt
    pratt Posts: 9
    Luckily, I live right outside of a major city that has a chinatown, so I can get the real deal - but I've used Thai kitchen in a pinch (I ran out last year and needed it quick!) and it's fine...
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Go to an Asian market and grab a bottle of Tiparos brand, it's all I've used for 16 years and it's carried in every Asian market I've been in.
  • Gato - where do you live?  As FxLynch said, an Asian market (where I live, they are called "Ranch 99") should have it. 

The kind my GF (who is Filippina & also has Vietnamese family) gets is called "Nuoc Mam" (pronounced "nook mum") and she swears by it!!  (it's Vietnamese).  She uses it in sour soup, w/ mangos (gross), w/ rice...

BTW, this is off to the side, but while we're talking about Asian condiments & sauces, if you're in an Asian market - pick up some Jufran - it's called "banana ketchup" or "banana sauce" but it doesn't taste anything like bananas (it's from the Philippines). 

It tastes like ketchup w/ a "kick" and I like to use it anywhere I'd use regular ketchup, and it's ESPECIALLY good on eggs (just used some this morning when I did an Egg Muffin sandwich for breakfast)!!!! mmmmmmm mmmmmm gooooood stuff!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    HH,

What you are calling Nuoc Mam (which I'm sure is the proper name), everybody else calls "Three Crabs".  That is what I use.  I originally bought it because Grace Young (author of Breath Of A Wok and Stir Fry To The Sky's Edge) recommended it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    VI - hahahahahaa... you're right!!!!

After reading your post, I looked @ the bottle, and sure enough, it's got a graphic of three crabs w/ the words "three crabs brand" below it!! 

I've never noticed that b4, and my GF always calls it "Nuoc Mam" so I never really paid any attention & always thought that's just what it was. 

BTW, the pronunciation of "Nuoc Mam" as "Nook Mum" isn't 100% accurate, as there are slight inflections in the words because of the Vietnamese language.  Those inflections are extremely hard to describe via written word - they need to be heard.  But, in writing, "Nook Mum" is close enough ;)

P.S.  give that Jufran a try some time - I think you'll like it, I really do!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I might try the Jufran.  We also have a 99 Market.  It is so clean, you could eat off the floor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Thanks all. I will see if there is an Asian market. Just asking about this brand as I would never know if it was good or not having never used fish sauce.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    In Georgia h mart has like 15 different choices for fish sauce. The only bad thing is all the bottles are about a liter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    In Georgia h mart has like 15 different choices for fish sauce. The only bad thing is all the bottles are about a liter.
    the good thing is fish sauce already went bad, you can leave it out on the counter for years and its still good, i mean it cant go badder
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited March 2012
    the good thing is fish sauce already went bad, you can leave it out on the counter for years and its still good, i mean it cant go badder
    :))
    Um, yeah it can.  I didn't read the label of my first bottle, you are NOT supposed to keep it in the refrigerator, but I did.
    I think it was an earlier thread on this forum that explained the non-frig feature, and I pulled my bottle out of the frig but noticed it had partially frozen, you could hear chunks sloshing around.
    The next morning, I picked up the bottle, and 
    and
    and the chunks were still in there!  
    :O 
    I gingerly carried it out to the trash can, and bought a fresh bottle.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    These are salt crystals...
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    was probably just  salt crystals, if they just put it in brown bottles
    like worcestershire one would never know, oh and rename it steak sauce
    :-\"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it