Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Struggling... Suggestions???

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife has asked 4 couples to come over Sunday night. I have been tasked with cooking the meat. I was thinking about pork tenderloin because I have yet to cook one on the egg. Any other suggestions??
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• You can grill steaks real quik
    LET'S EAT
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    You can grill steaks real quik
    Yes, steaks are a very good way to showoff just how much better the Egg makes food - though I guess that can get expensive if cooking for large amounts of ppl. 

When we hosted folks for an Easter dinner, I did a ribeye roast w/ chargrilled oysters as appetizers - they were both a huge hit!! 

For quick & cheap, there's always pizza (especially Costco pizza) - I usually do this when hosting a sporting event (football, UFC, etc), and the guys really love the wood fired pizzeria taste the Egg gives to the pizzas!!

Maybe give some more details about whether or not this is going to be formal, budget, what types of food are liked by everyone, or if anything is "off-limits" for dietary or cultural reasons, etc...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Tenderloin would be great. Direct heat. I cook mine 300-325. Flip once, season all around. Cook to 150-155. You can cook to a less internal temp, there will be some pink. My wife does not like that, even tho it's safe. Loin still turns out moist an tender.
    Others will have some good ideas about loin. I hope they chime in. That's how I go about it.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Simple doesn't mean un-delicious.

None of these were hard to do.

1. Wings marinated in peri-peri (you'd need another sauce, maybe teriyaki)
    2. London Broil marinated in teriyaki
    3. Stuffed peppers (you can do them without the rack)
    4. Marinated pork loin chops
    5. Italian sausages.

I actually like the reaction to simple things that taste so much better on the Eggs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Tendeloins are easy and quick. They take marinades very well, so you can offer many flavors if you cut the tendeloins up into medallions, and marinate them with several different flavor. They cook quickly, and its always nice to serve hot from the grill.

I do have a rule for myself. Don't serve something to guests that you haven't already made for yourself.  I'm often embarrassed when I violate my own precept.

I've worked long and hard on my ribs. They are always decent, and on occasion, praise worthy. If you have a personal best, and its suitable for the dinner, I say go with that.
  • Chubbs
    Thanks for the responses. I would rather not do steaks for this group. Frankly, they are picky about temps and I would rather save that for a group I enjoy a lot more :D. I was thinking tenderloin because I can get various levels of doneness on the same piece of meat. Not to mention I have not done one yet on the egg and want to give it a shot. Any other suggestions for pork tenderloin?
  • I don't know if you read this post or not... but i did a pork tenderloin last week, with a coffee rub. There are a couple of suggestions on this thread for a good rub.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1166027#Comment_1166027

BOOMER!
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I hit a pork tenderloin with some Italian Herb Seasoning and John Henry's Cilantro Lime Rub cooked direct @ 375 to about 150-155 and it was delicious. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

If you have a group that likes different temps of meat then you may want to do Tri Tip.  The ends will be close to medium well with the center rare and everything in between.  Easy to cook and they rest well for a long enough time that the allways difficult timing between you and the meat and your wife with the other dishes is not difficult to get right.

George

George
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    It was said before but I will say it again I dont like trying new dishes out on a diner party.I always test run my dishes before and that way I can tweak them to perfection .
  • Chubbs
    I would agree for a difficult cook, but we are talking pork tenderloin in the easiest vessel in the world to maintain temperature. Not too difficult. I have cooked tons of pork tenderloins, just never on the egg. I appreciate the input but think I will be fine on this one. Now if I were doing a new dish in the wok on the egg, no way I would try that for the first time for company.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    What about Spatchcocking a few chickens?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    chubbs nailed it.  do some pork tenderloins, each stuffed a different way.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chubbs
    Okay, so just back from the meat market and decided on a 5 lb pork loin roast for this meal. I was thinking around 325 indirect until 150 internal. Am I close to the mark?
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited March 2012
    I do a pork loin every week. I pull at 142° and foil for 15 minutes. I will do 350-375° to get a nice bark. I have also cut the loin into steaks and those are great also.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Chubbs
    Thanks big guy. Will that get me a little pink in the middle?
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

If you let it rest for 15 minutes, there is a hint of pink. If you cut it just off the grill, you will see more pink. I looked thru my photos and I can't find any already cut open. Sorry.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Chubbs
    H
    I do a pork loin every week. I pull at 142° and foil for 15 minutes. I will do 350-375° to get a nice bark. I have also cut the loin into steaks and those are great also.

how long they typically take you? Mine is 5 pounds
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I would've suggested butterflying and stuffing the PT too, but it sounds like you're further along and back from the store already.  
    Good luck, and post pics!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure