Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchchix Experiment - Think You Need Grid Extenders?

Options
MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends...

Roasters were super cheap, so I bought two and decided to experiment with devising my own grid extenders to do both at the same time.  Also a good time to try out a few different rubs/preps..

Both spatched.  One with the cleaver one with the scissors.  Cleaver is WAY easier.  One chicken sat uncovered overnight with Fiesta's Chicken Fajita rub.  I keep coming back to Fiesta's products.  Maybe it's the MSG.  Wish they had less salt...  Anyway, second chicken was slathered in yellow mustard and Bull City Wing Rub, a somewhat spicy rub made in Durham by a company that I don't think exists anymore.

Pavers set in the grill over random lump and three chunks of cherry from Fruita.  The mustard chicken went on the lower grate (felt level direct) with the Maverick grate thermometer and the meat probe.  A few pieces of cherry on that grate and a 13" SS grate and I loaded the Fiesta overnighter.  Set for an average temp of 400*.  

Took a few hours, but the results are in.  The Fiesta chicken is, without exception, the best chicken I've ever had.  Couldn't believe how moist and flavourful inside while very crispy and receptive to slicing the outside was.  And the rub is perfect.  The lower mustard chicken got the full brunt of the basting from above, and part of the breast was not crisped at all.  Flipped it over to do some higher direct heat on it.  The chicken literally came apart.

For some reason, the mustard slathered chicken was UNBELIEVABLY moist inside.  I can only speculate the mustard acted as some sort of vapour barrier.  Coincidentally, the taste of the meat was not NEARLY as flavourful as I'd hoped.  Little smoke and almost none of the rub.  Seems the mustard acted as a flavour barrier, too...  

Anyway - the dual grate setup worked like a charm and will be my plan for these things in the future.  I'm interested if it acts the same with pork butts, bark wise...

Hope all your teams are winning!  My bracket is 100% correct, so far....

Thanks for reading!
8-Damien

imageimageimageimageimage
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Ok, I've asked this more than once. How do you get skin like that on a chicken. Mine looks ok but is not "right", especialy on the breasts. I do direct raised at ~400. I don't want hear put it uncovered in the fridge for 2 days, I don't want to have to plan a meal that far ahead. Very frustrated
    George
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I left that one in there overnight, and it was really crispy.  I haven't had problems before - are you rubbing your chickens with anything?

I had to say something about my perfect bracket, looks like UNLV is going down :(
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    looks like UNLV is going down :(

Not yet...
  • gte1
    Options
    I left that one in there overnight, and it was really crispy.  I haven't had problems before - are you rubbing your chickens with anything?

I had to say something about my perfect bracket, looks like UNLV is going down :(

I have used a couple of different rubs. Tried olive oil and no oil didn't see much difference. When I do pieces the thighs and wings seem to crisp up better.
    George
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Do you check temp at the dome or the grate? How long since you calibrated your thermometer?
    looks like UNLV is going down :(

Not yet...
    Dangit.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• gte1
    Options
    Thermometer is good, have done butts with maverick and it is right on
    George
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Looks great, Damien (is that right? My first dog was named Damian, big old GS, but that's another story) I was wondering how that mustard slather was going to work.  I have and like some of the Fiesta spices as well.

Looks like your bracket isn't perfect anymore. UNLV went down. Looks like me and you are one of the few who picked VCU to win as well. And I'm sorry to upset you, but Duke ain't gonna make it past Baylor. Sic 'em Bears!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    gte1, the "secret" to crispy chicken skin, regardless of how you achieve it, is to dry the skin.  Leaving it uncovered in the fridge for a couple of days obvioiusly does this.  I've heard people put cornstarch on the skin.  Obviously heat will drive off the moisture.  And then once you achieve crispy skin you need to serve it relatively quickly to avoid juices soaking back into the skin and softening it up.
    The Naked Whiz
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options

Looks great, Damien (is that right? My first dog was named Damian, big old GS, but that's another story) I was wondering how that mustard slather was going to work.  I have and like some of the Fiesta spices as well.

Looks like your bracket isn't perfect anymore. UNLV went down. Looks like me and you are one of the few who picked VCU to win as well. And I'm sorry to upset you, but Duke ain't gonna make it past Baylor. Sic 'em Bears!!

lol!  I have three ACC teams in the Final Four!

Cornstarch almost sounds like a dry fry..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    heheeh... that's how I do my "custom raised grid" except I use fire bricks for both levels!! 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    did a chicken the other day that had been dried in the fridge overnight, like always.  crisp skin has always been elusive even with that trick.

but this one was roasted at 225-250 until done (maybe 185-190 in the joints, 160 in the breast).

first truly crisp skin in ages.

a friend of mine, who has a BGE, cooks his chicken very low for many hours.  has said he always got crisp skin and never knew what the fuss was about achieving it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    Stike, was that direct or indirect??
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

We tried this modified recipe from Food Network the other night to have a twist on crisp skin. It worked out well, but I didn't take pics. Next time I will.

Marinade:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
    • 2 ounces honey
    • 1 bunch freshly chopped cilantro leaves
    • 1 quart buttermilk

Rub:

Basting liquid:

• 1/2 cup olive oil
    • 3 tablespoons ground cumin
    • 3 tablespoons fennel seed

For the marinade:

Directions

For the rub:

Mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until ready to use.

For the basting liquid:

Combine the ingredients in small bowl and place by the grill with a brush for basting. Add the marinade to a resealable bag and add the chicken. Let marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator. Remove chicken from marinade and pat skin dry. Coat the skin of the chicken with the rub and carefully place some of the rub under skin. Return to the refrigerator for a minimum of 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and place the bone side down. Grill over direct flame, raised grid @ 350 to 400 until cooked through, basting every 15 minutes. When cooked through, remove the chicken from the grill and peel off the skin. Place the chicken, flesh side down, on the grill over high heat to get grill marks. Place the reserved skin on the grill to crisp. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Chop the crisped skin on a cutting board and sprinkle over the chicken.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Can't believe you have Duke beating Kentucky.  I think you need to stick to cooking chicken and give up on bracketology, (spoken like a true KY fan).
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Can't believe you have Duke beating Kentucky.  I think you need to stick to cooking chicken and give up on bracketology, (spoken like a true KY fan).
    +1
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Wow.  Harder being a Duke fan sometimes than cooking a Texas brisket on a coffee warmer.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• burr_baby33
    Options
    Wow! Duke opened up a hornets nest last night. I was looking forward to UK Duke rematch.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Lol. How's that Duke pick looking. I can't say much I had mizzo in the final 4. Nice looking chicken though.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Can't believe Paul Heels hasn't been in here to let me have it yet ...

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• burr_baby33
    Options
    Just make sure you have Kentucky winning that big gold trophy. If we win it all, I'll cook for all my egghead friends.