Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size of Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I'm getting my hubby an egg for father's day. What size should I get? We are a family of 5, two adults and 3 teen boys. (The boys don't eat as much as one might expect, altho the 13yo can put it away when it comes to bbq steak.) We entertain fairly often, altho in the past have stayed away from bbq when entertaining more than one or two extra families due to the time it takes to manage a plain charcoal grill. (We always end up letting the coals get too cold, have to add more, wait, then we don't watch the meat, it burns, etc. Actually, it is always hubby's fault as the bbq is his arena. <g>)[p]I'd like to say money is no object but of course it is. However, my feeling on this is that it is already so darna $$$, what's a few more hundred? [p]Thanks for the advice,
Gwen

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Gwen,
    get him a large for sure, Make him really proud[p]and get him an EXTRA LARGE.........priceless[p]( I think there is only a couple or 3 hundred dollar difference for the real big guy, what the heck, its guaranteed for life once you register it )

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Gwen,
    Large. With the grid extender you can cook a large amount of meat. I can cook (4) 8# pork butts or 5 racks of ribs laying flat. You can easily feed 5 very hungry people with a large. Be sure to get all the extras .. platesetter, daisy wheel, grid extender and nest. [p]Doug

• Unknown
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Between the large and x-large, which are the two I'm trying to decide between, how many, say, burgers could you fit on each one?[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Gwen, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Large. I've had mine since before Christmas and cook on it an average of 4x per week. It is usually just for my wife & I, but I can also cook large meals for a couple dozen people. The large has enough space for several Boston Butts, a couple of beef brisets, a couple or three strategically placed butterflied whole chickens + a couple more on a grid extender, or several vertical roast whole chickens, or several steaks at one time, and on and on.[p]I was always scared of cooking with charcoal before I bought my Egg, because I did the same thing you describe your husband doing. But after the first time I used it, I was hooked! It is VERY hard to screw something up on an Egg, and I've tried! It holds temperatures very well and is a very stable cooking tool. Once you learn to control it, it will cook within +/- 5degrees of where you want it for hours at a time without you touching it. [p]The Extra Large looks nice too, but I am very happy with my Large. Be forewarned: If you ever cook a pizza on the egg, your sons will never want to order out for pizza again! They'll be begging you every weekend to cook them a pizza. :~)

• Unknown
    Options
    vr6Cop,[p]My youngest, 13yo, wants pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He is not happy if he doesn't have pizza. (Altho he did manage to chow down on some Fred's steak - anyone from Palo Alto, CA, will know what I'm talking about - last night. I am so sick of DiGiorno I can't even tell you in words. I would love to make pizza on an egg.[p]Only prob is that we are also getting my long-coveted Aga in July and so will be wanting to do pizza on that instead.[p]Gwen
  • Unknown
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]>>platesetter, daisy wheel, grid extender and nest.<<[p]What do these things do? I thought I read in another post that the daisy wheel is supposed to come with it. [p]Also, on the site product list they talk about 'upgrades,' being spring assisted band and stainless steel door and I'm wondering if I should get those.[p]Does the ash tool and temp gauge come with it? Seems like they should.[p]Re the nest, that's the legs, right? I was not going to get that as we need to build a table for it anyway and then the legs would be useless. I was thinking we could use it on brick blocks til the table gets built. Is this feasible?[p]Also, you guys keep talkinga bout a bbq guru but that is not listed on the site. Is that from a different company? I gather it's some kind of device that 'holds' the temp at a certain setting?[p]Thanks for the advice. I need to get this ordered pretty pronto if I want it here by father's day. (When is that anyway?)[p]Gwen
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Gwen,
    Daisy wheel allows small adjustments in temp. Should be included. Temp gauge should be included as well. I didn't get an ash tool as I use a small garden trowel and it works better IMHO (in my honest opinion).[p]Spring assisted band and stainless steel door I think are standard now ... I may be wrong so it is always nice to inquire.[p]I prefer the nest over the table because I am always moving my eggs around and it takes up less room on the deck. You can also turn the nests easier to keep the door out of direct wind. I also have 2 eggs so I shuffle them quite a bit. If you get "wings" they are nice too. They attach to the outsideof the egg and act as a mini table.[p]BBQ Guru is an electrical device that helps maintain a certain draft through the egg to help keep the temperature constant or ramped up or down. I don;t have one so I can't comment on get or don't get. I know that some people sware by them.[p]Where are you located? My dealer has one in stock with all the parts ... Madison, IN. I'm sure I could help talk him into a deal for ya.[p]Doug
    ps - I'm not sure of the exact day for Fathers day but your husband is gonna be one happy man.

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]
    I'm in Washington State, on Whidbey Island. I know there are several dealers just on the other side, so I'm going to contact them once I've done a little more research.[p]Thanks for the info,
    Gwen

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    gwen,once you try pizza on your egg, you will not want to cook it on anything but the egg....