Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to prepare my Wok for Seasoning

2»

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I had a similar experience.  Planned to cook and then realized I only had time to season the first night.  Do you have a Woo, or are you sitting on the grill.

You certainly use more lump doing this, but it is a nice change of pace.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Yes, both of you had success.  It's called a learning curve.  If you read my mini thread, you know that I am going through it also.  That is a good thing !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    VI wouldn't have it any other way. I'm used to being the b*$th anyhoo. This is the stuff that makes it fun!

Doc I do have a Woo but I also got a Wok ring from Mrs. Chan. I just have the Egg grate on the fire ring and the Wok ring sitting on the Egg grate. I'm not sure if I like this particular wok ring as it seems a little flimsy and the wok slides on it a lot. Doesn't matter, it was only $3. Will get the wok ring from Tom at CGS if this doesn't work out.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I thought this might be worth posting.  This is after the fry.

I dumped some water in and brushed it, and dumped the water.  I then put it on the heat again and used tongs/towel to spread oil.  After a couple of minutes I took it off the heat, and let the Egg cool some.

I put it back in the cooling Egg and will let it stay there until the morning.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NightwingXP
    Nice and black Doc! That's nice that you can close your lid with the wok in it. I can't with my handle but I just wanted a handle to be able to handle the wok better.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Yeah, well I burned my hand through the glove tonight, so might be a good decision.

• NightwingXP
    Ooo. Good to know. Hope it wasn't bad
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Just another Red Badge of Courage.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    it'll be black before you know it.  Be sure to oil the back too (are you listening Mickey?)

Got it. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• when I season my cast iron, & my wok after cleaning I oil the entire thing & let it back in the oven or egg upside down as not to have it puddle in the bottom. Each time I use it when it is cool enough to handle I add a little oil & kosher salt scrub it then wipe it down with a thin coat of oil.It is amazing how the flavor of the food gets better after many uses. Good Luck