Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boring question....but

Options
nineee
nineee Posts: 41
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm running out of BGE fire starters.  What else do some of you use?  I can't use an electric starter--no outlet close by.  I saw some starters at Lowes but they were completely sealed in a pkg which you also burned.  appreciate some suggestions.  Nina in KY

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am going to convert to 91% alcohol like some of the others. Extremely cheap. Apparently drip a few drops and light. Easy.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I am going to convert to 91% alcohol like some of the others. Extremely cheap. Apparently drip a few drops and light. Easy.
    More than a few drops for me, Chubbs.  I probably put about 1/4 cup on for my large.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    MAPP torch for me.

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    I tried the 91% alcohol last night. First just a sprinkle, didn't work. Definitely need a healthy dose as VI recommends.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    MAPP fast, easy, works well, and its kind of fun.
    George
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    weed burner for higher temp cooks, electric or mapp for lower temp
  • randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    I use those firestarter 'matches' you can get at most grocery stores - usually broke in half.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

More than a few drops for me, Chubbs.  I probably put about 1/4 cup on for my large.
    10-4 Good buddy. I am going to give it a try.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Flame thrower....uh...I mean weed burner. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I don't recall the name of the product, but our Ace Hardware has a really large box of starter squares that are identical to the BGE brand.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I use vegetable oil on a paper towel.  Easy and cheap.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    I used the veggie oil today since I was in the same boat and it worked like a charm!  Don't douse the entire thing in it leave some unoiled paper towel so you can light it....
    Large BGE

• bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options

Tractor Supply has a box of 144 for aroun $14.00.  Cant seem to tell a difference between these and BGE starters and considerably cheaper.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I spent $14 on a Weber Chimney starter 3 years ago when I bought the egg(XL).  Just light it with a couple pieces of newspaper (full for steaks, half for < 275 low/slow).  Most of the time it is those "free" fliers that come in the mail a couple times a week.  So, for the money, it is a very good "investment".  
  • MeAndTheDog
    Options
    I ball up a paper towel (tight) then soak with alcohol, this acts as a candle and burns for a long time. It doesnt take quite as much alcohol. FWIW 
    Conway, S.C.
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Options

I've noticed the weber starter blocks at Home Depot....a 24 pack for $3.99 or $4.99...definitely cheaper than BGE. Wondering if they will work just as well. I'm gonna start off with the..starter cubes....pardon the pun...but I'm pretty tempted to go with a MAPP torch method. I'm right next to an outlet so I could go electric...but I hesitate to go that route...not even sure why other than having to let the darned thing cool down after the fire is lit. At least a tiny hassle...but could be worthy of consideration. One thing I am curious about...is the MAPP torch method more expensive?...I'm clueless since I haven't used em and don't know the cost of fuel. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    Options
    all those starters are compressed paper or sawdust and paraffin.  all about the same.

paper napkin drizzled lightly in cooking oil (not soaked) will light faster than them, and be cheaper.  if you count time standing around screwing with lighting the egg (jetting the mapp torch around three separate spots, hauling out the weedburner, lighting the starters and waiting for them to burn off, etc.), i find the paper napkin as fast or faster.  if you count time to cooking at medium to high temps, it's not much slower than the weedburner, which is fastest to temp.  but even the weedburner means i'm standing at the egg longer than just lighting the napkin and oil and basically walking away

i spend less time standing at the egg by using simply paper napkin and oil than anything else. bing, bang, boom.  done. time to desired dome temp? weedburner by a nose.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante