Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Cast Iron Griddle

BakerMan
BakerMan Posts: 159
edited March 2012 in Off Topic

Tonight I cooked fajitas on my cast iron semi-circle griddle.  The fajitas were a hit but my griddle had about an 1/8th of an inch of burned on fajita sauce on it.  I spent about 30 minutes scraping it with a razor blade scraper, soapy water, and a scouring pad.  So after all this I was wondering if there wasa better way to clean the griddle.  I'm wondering now if I should have cranked up the heat to 600 and burned the funk off?  Any recommendations (besides go out for fajits)?

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Heat, rock salt, and elbow grease. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    How you cleaned it, is the best way. I use a metal stout spatula to scrape mine. Right after cookin, pull from heat and scrape. Makes cleaning much easier.
    This is one reason why iron is so sacred to people who understand its awesomeness. Not many people like that left.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.